Friday, May 16, 2008

Next step: Pulitzer



Last week we got a call from Spencer's school asking if Trent and I would be able to come to the school on Friday morning. I have to admit that the first thought that flew across my mind was: What did he do now? Fortunately, in this case he had chosen to use his powers for good and not evil. Very good, in fact.

In the fall, the whole school had watched an assembly about constructing stories and the key elements you need to write one. The most important element being: imagination. All of the students would have the opportunity to write their own stories and when the "brainstormers" came back in the Spring, they would pick the best stories and act them out.

It turns out that Spencer's story was one of the stories they chose! His story was titled "The shark and the alligator met an angler fish." Granted, his story was about three sentences long so... the brainstormers improvised a bit.


The fact that his was chosen was a surprise to Spence and his teacher, so we had to sneak into the auditorium. It was pretty humorous because we were hardly stealth in getting to our seats. The kids that were already seated were of course looking all over the place at the other kids coming in. The kids in Spencer's class know me from
coming in and helping in his class. No sooner
had one kid spotted me and the whole class
was looking back at us. Spence saw us and waved. I don't think he realized why we were there.

It was quite an honor for his story to be selected out of so many choices. I was so proud of him as he sat up in the "author" chair being interviewed and getting to watch his story brought to life. I know that it is his accomplishment but as a parent it makes you feel like you must be doing something right. I hope it is the first of many more honors to come for him. He definitely has the potential - he is a smart and special kid.




Watching the play based on his story.





Taking a bow and getting his certificate.





3 comments:

Lesley said...

This is way cooler than I had imagined. It is so neat that they made the characters from his story and put on a little play. He is going to be a great writer like you and Dana. How proud I know that you feel. Congrats Spencer, that is awesome!

dr said...

What a great honor for Spencer. He looks so comfortable in front of the school in the director's chair. He is growing up to be such a confident little guy. You must be very proud. I hope he continues to enjoy excelling at school.

jensenbo said...

I'm so proud of my oldest grandson!! Good job, Spence --- you are growing up to be a wonderful boy. I'm so proud you --- you cutie!!