Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cabin

We spent the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend hanging out at the cabin. The boys are begging to spend the night there, but Trent and I haven't yet mustered up the courage to be outnumbered by our children in the wild. Someday soon. An overnighter would be quite fun, the day just seems to fly by so fast up there.

The photos here just scratch the surface of the essence of the cabin. It has been in Trent's family since before he was born - he grew up spending weekends and summer's there. It has always been a haven and magical retreat for him. A month or so after we started dating, he brought me to the cabin for our first getaway as a couple. He tells me that during that trip while I fished in the rain wearing a fluorescent orange slicker he knew that he wanted to marry me. That was the moment he fell in love. A little over a year later, he proposed to me in the very same spot. The cabin has always and will always hold a special place in our hearts.

The boys have always loved going to the cabin and playing around in the woods and river. Even with the water temperature in the low fifties - they hop into that river without a second thought. They love running around up there and hiking on the trails, fishing and looking for animal bones. They are getting older so we don't have to be so vigilant about keeping an eye on them. Things can happen and they are still pretty young but they can be on a shorter leash (as long as they are wearing life jackets) That is so funny to me because I would get so mad at my Dad for making me wear a life jacket around the docks and in boats. I used to think he was just being mean and overprotective - now I totally get where he was coming from and am exactly the same way! It is amazing to me what a difference a year makes. Last year I was totally stressed about Evan going up and down the stairs and being on the dock - this year, he is a seasoned veteran.

There is such a sense of peace and solitude at the cabin. At night sitting by the fire you can look up and see billions of stars and all you can hear is the river running by. It is funny how the river seems to get so much louder at night. We have had so much fun over the years spending time with friends and family up there on our annual canoe trips. Since most of us now have passels of kids the canoe trips are on hiatus for a few years, but in years to come we will be able to enjoy it up there with those we love and our little ones (that need to get a little bigger first). I enjoy hanging out at lake cabins but it is just not the same. Most of the cabins on lakes that I have been to are almost in little lake subdivisions. The cabins are totally close together so it is almost like you are eating dinner at your picnic table right next to your neighbors. Hey, we ran out of potato salad, got any we can have? That is fine if your idea of getting away from it all includes the willingness to socialize. I like the fact that at the cabin you can be walking around in a bikini top with your flab hanging out and there is no one around to see you. No neighbor standing on their dock thinking "Dang, she may want to rethink that outfit!" I want to look grungy and not care about who might see me. It is sort of overwhelming to be surrounded by jet skis and pontoon boats - those lakes are so noisy! Besides, the warm lake water in those inland lakes creeps me out a bit because it always make me feel like I am swimming in pee or something and am destined to get some swimmers itch the minute I get out. The river never stands still.












There is a lot of work to be done around the place. We have been chipping away it it little by little. It is hard to get much done when you have two boys ready to run wild and a toddler girl who is way too curious for her own good. The place needs some TLC so we are doing our best to give it some. I know it means so much to Trent to see his children enjoying a place that means so much to him and holds such fond memories. I hope one day it will mean as much to our kids as it does to us.





You just can't leave the cabin without roasting a s'more. This was a perfect s'more! It would have taken first prize in any competition. Boy did it taste good!





3 comments:

Lesley said...

Yummy looking s'more!! Blue ribbon taster I am sure. I am sure that your kids will grow to cherish the cabin and all it's history. You do such a nice job keeping the history.

jensenbo said...

I remember growing up around our cabin on the South PM in Ruby Creek. We also had a small cabin in the woods in Walhalla. I have some many wonderful memories of the days spend in the wilderness. What fun!! I'm glad you guys have a neat place far away from the city to hang out in.

dr said...

I love your cabin, too. You guys have such a great place, and have such fun times there. You all are lucky to have such a fantastic retreat. We hope to visit it again soon. That smore does look delicioso!