Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Almost instant regret over this decision...was still not soon enough.

Hobby Lobby had all of their frames fifty percent off. I need two frames for some pictures I want to hang in my kitchen. After lunch I decided we would take a little family excursion to the store. I told the boys on the way if they behaved themselves in the store and followed all of my directions we could stop and get a Slurpee or a shake after we were finished shopping.

They decided that instead of a frozen type treat they would like to buy some sort of craft thing in the store if they were good. I was all for that, I would rather have them doing something creative then sucking down sweet drinks.



They were semi-behaved in the store. I had to break up a couple games of what can only be described as aisle tag, but once I dangled their crafty carrot over their heads, things got much better. In the actual picking out of their "craft" I had to say NO to about a million different things. Rock tumbler. Cast your own mask. Latch-hook rug kits. Stuff way over their heads and not in the price range that I envisioned. In the vacation bible school "stuff" aisle, they found these fuse beads. They decided they could share them and they were forty percent off. Win Win. I hesitated a little because once you get them on the board thingies you have to iron them together. The kids are crazy around the iron when Trent is doing his shirts, heaven knows how they would be around the crafts they made. We don't need more burns around here.
We get home and right away they want to bust out the fuse beads. I try to talk them out of it citing the fact that it is nice out and they can play outside with their new squirt guns. (Also forty percent off, both combined cost one dollar, I know I am a sucker). They were having none of it. Fuse beads it was. Spencer put about five beads on and said he was ready for me to iron. Evan whined (because he hasn't napped in days) that I needed to help him do it. The top was off the bead container for about forty seconds before the floor was covered with beads. They don't sweep up very well because they are like little barrels and roll with the broom. Spence completes his creation and tips it over and all his intricately placed beads plummet and bounce around the floor. I grab the broom AGAIN while Evan (still over tired) cries that I can't throw them away. By the way, he has turned into a pack rat on steroids - I can hardly throw ANYTHING in the trash around him - everything is his favorite or he needs it. We finally get all the beads picked up and I convinced the boys to go outside.
I am thinking these are more of a rainy day activity. I will have to do my best to keep them in hiding until it rains and I am feeling like super Mom in the patience category. A tarp for the floor would help too.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

As soon as I saw the picture, my mouth opened and said ooohhhhh!! You are a much braver and patient mom than I, I don't see this in a purchas for me EVER! That was nice that you got them for the boys and Hailey when she is older. I knew that they would be on the floor.

Lesley said...

On the floor, that is why i don't want to buy them, I must be too lazy for that. I'll stick to painting.