Monday, May 19, 2008

$1.50

Funky girl boots: 1.00
Cowboy hat: .25
Paperback book: .25
Bonding with your neighbors while buying their junk: Priceless
Who says you can't get anything good for a dollar nowadays? Our neighborhood garage sale was this past Saturday. These are the gems we found and they came to a whopping grand total of one dollar and fifty cents.


I LOVE the funky little "no place like home" boots! They are a size five so I am hoping they will fit Hailey this fall.


Evan picked out the cowboy hat and bought it with his own quarter. He could not be talked out of it. It basically puts his whole body in shadow. It is huge! Maybe he will be a cowboy for Halloween.


Spencer couldn't find anything that he wanted to buy and had money burning a hole in his pocket. Finally, at the last house we went to they had a box full of books. I spotted this Boxcar Children book and was transported back to being in grade school. I checked every Boxcar Children book they had out of the library. I especially loved the first one. I remember being fascinated by the children going to the dump and finding cups and plates and spoons to use in their little boxcar home. I remember reading about them making a stew out of vegetables they got from doing odd jobs and my mouth totally watering for stew as I read it. Eventually, the children were found by their grandfather and then they started solving mysteries. The book Spencer got is book number 20 in the series. They list about 5o of them inside the cover. The first book was the best - I think maybe I should get Spencer that one first so that he can get a better feel for why they are the Boxcar Children. Then I will get to read it again as well. It is fun to watch your kids enjoying things that you grew up with.

1 comment:

dr said...

What great finds. One man's trash is another's treasure - eh? Did you guys sell stuff, too? I LOVED The Boxcar Children series too. I read those books voraciously. You bring back such memories of Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Ben - is that his name? I can't believe I remembered that - hadn't thought of it in 20 years probably. I have the 1st book somewhere in hardcover.
Enjoy!