Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The farmers in the 'hood

This is Spence and Ev's latest pastime. Playing farmer. They drive the Jeep into the empty lot next to Jed's house and pick all the "grain" they can find.

Today they drove up to me with these hanging out of their mouths and said "Hey Mom! This is what farmers do, right?"



When we went to Wal-mart to get our annuals, Spence was obsessed with buying this potted Strawberry plant. I told him that the amount of strawberries that would come from the plant would be hardly worth the water. He insisted he would care for it, so we bought it. When Evan and I were going back for some hanging pots, Spence remembered that I had tried to persuade him to buy chives instead. He asked if I could get the chives for him as well. I bought the onion chive plant and Spence has been eating them ever since. Yesterday he picked some chives and came inside and made himself an onion chive and cheese sandwich complete with mayo. He wanted the same thing for breakfast.

I sort of wish we had a spot for a real garden since the kids seem to be so into it. We don't have enough sun in our backyard and I don't think the neighborhood association would look too kindly on a big garden plot in our front yard. We will stick to flower pot gardens I guess.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Love the shots, expecially the grain one, cool words on the photos, from the new photoshop I assume. The chives are perennials!!
Love the farmer boys.