Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Things that make you Evan.

You have been four years old for almost a month. How does time get away from me like it does? First of all, I can't believe that you ARE four. Second, how did a month go by already? I haven't even written the thank yous for your gifts.



You are such a love. I am so thrilled that you still want to hug and cuddle with me. Your hugs are legendary - they are so tight and you just hold on for dear life. Often, you will ask me to carry you down or up the stairs. (Usually after I have been carrying your sister around) You invented your own "pull my finger" game. Daddy taught you the traditional version, but yours is much nicer. After pulling your finger you lean in and give me a kiss. You call it your kissing machine. It is the sweetest thing.



You can be the most stubborn little guy I know. I can tell why your astrological sign is Taurus. You like things to go your way and if they don't - watch out! You have a bad temper. You love to play board games and other competition type games but if you don't win, you have been known to throw a game board across the room. I am hoping this is something that will eventually start to simmer down. You are starting T-ball in a few weeks and I am curious to see how you do in your first competitive (though very loose) sports situation. Hopefully there will be no bats around if you get struck out!


You have such a zest for life. You are always up for trying something new. You love inventing new games a few of which are: store, burglar, sandstorm and poofy. You only have one level of voice - LOUD. You like to speak in a yell and you like to scream a lot. You love to play one on one and have my undivided attention. I don't know if that is due to the fact that you are a middle child or if that is just part of your personality.



You are very inquisitive. Even more so in the last couple of weeks. You question everything and constantly ask Why? Your current favorite show is called Super Why? I don't know if that has anything to do with it - it appears to be a show about reading. You seem to retain so much of what you learn. Just the other day when Spence was asking (not very nicely or patiently) for his glass of milk, you said to him "Spence, remember what we learned in church - I will wait without complaint!" I had to laugh out loud. You are smart. When we read Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 the other day, I was shocked when you counted to thirty (leaving out 14-16). You know all of your letters and most of the sounds they make. Tonight while going through McD's drive-thru when Spence asked for a mint shake you told him before I could even get the words out "They only have those by St. Patricks Day." I was in awe that you would even remember the holiday.


You love to learn. You finished your first year of preschool and loved it. While most kids live for summer vacation, you have been asking me everyday when you get to go back to school. Your report card was fantastic - you were at "exceeds expectations" for every category except for "speaks clearly". That was not a surprise. You still have some issues with speech but not anything major. There have been times you have had to repeat something three or four times before I understand what you are saying. I love the way you talk - I will be sad to see some of the words go.


You are a Mama's boy- not in a bad way. We have always shared a special closeness. I am the one you always want to tuck you into bed at night. Even nights when I make Dad do it, you won't go to sleep until I have been up to give you a kiss. When you are sad, angry or in total meltdown mode, I am the only one you can pick you up and get you to start to diffuse. You have always been completely open with me. I hope we will always have that in the years to come.



You love your own space. Your bedroom is one of your favorite places to play. You love to invite me or Dad or your brother or sister in to your room to play dinosaurs or castle with you. One of the first thing you ask new friends that come to our house is "Wanna see my room?" After we tuck you into bed at night and you are supposed to be sleeping - we hear you up there playing with your toys in your bed, sometimes for hours. I know you need your rest but we justify it by saying that at least you are staying in your room and we are happy that you have the imagination to entertain yourself.


You wear your heart on your sleeve. You are completely upfront - you don't hide your feelings at all. If you are happy we know it. If you are angry or sad - believe me, we know it! Your moods can change on a dime. You are very unpredictable sometimes. Some days you wake up from your nap wide eyed and ready to move on to the next game and some days it will take minutes of coaxing and cuddling and you still are reluctant to come out of your room.



You have a laugh that is totally contagious. Even though your recent brand of hilarity includes adding the word "poop" to every sentence. Or calling someone "baby" as an insult. Sometimes when you are mad at me you call me a "big-fat-poop-baby-mommy" and even though you are angry, can't stop yourself from smiling and then laughing at the hilarious new term you have coined.



You are sensitive. A surprising harsh word from me can send you straight into the fetal position and start your tears flowing. You are a caring soul and your heart overflows with kindness for the ones you love. You don't like to see others upset. You always bring to our attention the fact that your brother or sister is upset or needs something from Mom or Dad.


Evan, these are a few of the things that make you - you at four years old. Everyday I look forward to seeing your adorable little face and hearing your sweet little voice. I hope you enjoy your fourth year my sweet baby boy, because I know I will try to cherish every minute of it.




Photo notes: I shot these photos of Evan while we were at the cabin. I was so excited about all the good locations and good light options. Unfortunately due to the cleanliness factor, I made him pose for me pretty much as soon as we got there. The poor boy was tortured because all he wanted to do was play. I didn't get as many good shots as I would have liked but some turned out OK. The top was the last shot and my absolute favorite. It is so Evan.


4 comments:

dr said...

Voov - What a beautiful description of you - your mom is a great writer. So very true. I love you so much, too, little Evan. You are a special little guy.
I love these photos and appreciate them even more when I hear how patient you were in getting them taken.

Lesley said...

what a little cutie! 4 years old, it seems so young to say it out loud, yet I can't believe that he is actually 4, it sounds too old for him. (I understand what I just wrote). He is such a cutie, and what cute photos you got. I love the last one!

jensenbo said...

This blog bought tears to my eyes --- my little Evan --- I love when I can spend "alone" time with you --- your are a delight to be with and I love you with all my heart. You are Gramma's little boy and I can't wait to walk in the dunes with you and explore the universe. Love you always!! And your mother is a wonderful writer who can put into words so many beautiful feelings. You are so lucky, Evan --- and so cute!!

jensenbo said...

How photogenic this little boy is. Maybe I'm partial since I'm a middle child too. :))Not that it makes him beautiful --- which he is!!! PS. Of course, the one taking the pictures knows what she is doing and is very talented.