Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pillow fights and Cannonballs

We had a big day yesterday! We spent most of the day at my cousin's pool. They were having a big family bash. My boys had been looking forward to the day for over a week. Every day they would ask "How many more days 'til we go to Bryce's pool?" Whatever the number you said they would then ask "What day is today?" And then make you list the day and the number it was until they could go to Bryce's pool. Yesterday morning Spence came into our room and woke me up and asked "Mom, why do I feel so excited in my brain?" When I told him today was THE day - he was ready to get his suit on and head over there by eight in the morning.

They had so much fun. They are such water babies. Evan is following in his big brother's footsteps - he was jumping off the diving board and everything. Even Hailey was jumping off the side of the pool into my arms (while wearing her life jacket of course). She also loved floating around in the little pool "boats". The boys both start their swimming lessons next week and I think they will love them. Spence is totally geeked to go back - he has now graduated to the "deep end". Since it is Ev's first time, he is a little nervous, but since being so comfortable in the pool, I think he will love it.

Then last night, Spencer had his first sleepover at a friends house. He was almost as excited about sleeping over as the pool party. He was most excited to have a pillow fight. I was apprehensive about the fact that he seems young for a sleepover and worried that he would get homesick. I told him before he went if he wanted us to come get him we would be there in five minutes. I was sure we would get a call in the night. It was so odd to be sitting watching TV with the kids in bed and to realize that one of my kids was not up there and was not with a relative. I began to sense what parents feel when their children start to go "out" with friends and you have no idea what they are doing or where they are. I started to kind of panic wondering if we should have let him stay? Are we sure we trust these parents? What if they have loaded guns in the house? You know stuff normal people worry about. I know, Trent tells me I am a total freak! He never called. He had a great time. When we picked him up this morning on the way to church his buddy's Mom said that of the seven boys invited to the sleepover, only two made it the whole night and my brave, well adjusted, fun loving little guy was one of them. He seemed so old walking up to the car looking tired but elated, carrying his pillow with his overnight bag slung over his shoulder. What a guy!

1 comment:

jensenbo said...

Little Spence --- he's growing to be such a confident little guy and seems to have so many friends. Glad he had a good time at Jager's. And the pool party was so fun. I loved watching the kiddies jump off the diving board. Ev is so brave and loves the water. Hais is a waterbug too. Must be in their genes, right??