Thursday, June 12, 2008

The end of the beginning...


Saturday was Spencer's last day of soccer. It was tournament day - they play two games - after the second game is the award ceremony where they get their trophies.

I think Spencer actually got his foot on the ball twice in the second game. I think I even got a photo of it! Needless to say, soccer has not really been his thing. So many people that we have talked to have said that their kid was the same way. How it took season after season until their kid finally got up the gumption to get into the game. Maybe I am being a bad parent, but I don't want to waste my time season after season waiting for soccer to click with him. But, I decided that we would let him make the call.





After his practice last Thursday we were sitting down eating dinner and I told him that he had just finished his last soccer practice of the season and that Saturday would be his last games.

Mom: Do you think you want to play soccer again in the Fall?

Spencer: (Shaking his head) No, I don't really think so.

Mom: That is fine. We can find something else for you to do that you might be more fun for you.

A few minutes go by...

Spencer: You know what though, Mom? I never got to play goalie! I really wish I could play goalie!

Mom: Spence, the reason you never have played goalie is because the goalie always has to be watching the game and paying attention. You never pay attention to what is going on in the game. Tonight you were picking up string in the field. So unless soccer is something that you really want to do, we will not sign you up again in the Fall. I think we will sign up Evan because he wanted to play.

Spencer: I don't want to play soccer.

Evan: I don't want to play soccer either.

Spencer: Why not Evan? It is so much fun! Don't you see me kicking the ball and running around? It is so fun Evan. You will have so much fun!

Mom: (Total confused look on her face) Huh?



I love the intense look on his face in these pictures. It looks like he is totally into the game!







He was so proud of his trophy and his medal. The coach had the medals made for his team- they are even engraved with the kids names on them. He has been coaching these same kids for years now and Spence had the luck of getting on the team for these past two seasons. He is a great coach - so patient and never sharp tongued. He never made Spencer feel like he was any worse or better than any other kid. I have seen some of the other soccer coaches in action and I know if we had gotten one of them, Spence would not have made it through two games let alone two seasons. We were very lucky. Even the parents of the other kids were great. So supportive. I don't know what they were thinking in their heads, but they never had anything but good things to say about Spencer.


These are the treasures that Spencer collected on the field during his last practice, instead of paying attention to the game.






2 comments:

Lesley said...

More great treasures, you are so blessed. I hope that he has a huge chest to put these in, because it needs to be very large for all of that treasure he finds!! Nice post and summary to his season. Cool shots too! Way to go Spence!

jensenbo said...

Sorry I missed the soccer tourney. It's fun to watch him play --- but I prefer his baseball (t-ball); he seems to get into that sport more than soccer. You took great action shots of the kids playing. Yes, Spence does look intense playing -- but would rather socialize me thinks. :)He sure is a cutie!!