Thursday, June 5, 2008

I can smell my old backyard...



Lilacs are my favorite flower. I can't get enough of how good they smell. In the house I grew up in, we had huge lilac bushes along our side fence. When they would bloom, the scent was just phenomenal! I swear I would wake up in the morning and be able to smell them from the bathroom upstairs!


In our yard we have two lilac bushes. It seems like it has taken them forever to bloom. I don't know if that is due to a cold Spring or what. I always thought that early May was pretty much the season for lilacs. The Japanese lilac (I think that is what it is called) STILL has not bloomed. Both bushes have sort of a chalky white spotted residue on their trunks? stems? whatever you call the "wood" part of bushes. BRANCHES? I hope they don't have some kind of disease. They are finally getting to be a good size.




I love lily-of-the-valley too! Before my Mom moved from our old house, I dug up some from the backyard and planted them on the side of our garage. I think I only took ten or so. Since then, they have multiplied like crazy and a good portion of the side is covered with them. That makes me so happy!


I remember in a shady area over where we kept the garbage cans we used to have a ground cover that would bloom with purple leaves. With all the shade we have in our yard, I wish I would have taken some of those as well. I think it was called myrtle. Something like that.


I love these pictures of Spencer and Hailey. They were outside with me while I was shooting the flower pictures. Hailey just looks so ready to take on anything. I love her little toes peeking out. And Spencer, my brown eyed heart breaker, picked that little piece of lilac just for me. I imagine that girls are going to start calling for him any day now!


I almost forgot about the forsythia. That was the other huge flowering plant in our yard. In early spring my Mom would go out and cut branches and make gorgeous bouquets. I wish I had more sun in my yard so I could plant a forsythia bush as well.



I loved our old backyard. You always knew when spring had arrived.





4 comments:

Lesley said...

Mmmmm, I can smell the lilacs right now!! love that smell.

dr said...

These are my favorite flowers, too. Must be that I recall the fond memories of Wellwood springtime. We had cut lilacs in the office this week, and every time I walked by, I was so happy. I had tons of lily of the valley at my old house on Bagley and loved them too. Wish I would have taken some to plant in the new yard. Maybe I will sneak down there at night and steal some!

jensenbo said...

Funny how your favorite flowers come from your childhood memories. We, too, had a large lilac "tree" in our yard on 5th street. I loved smelling the flowers and seeing the lovely purple blooms every spring, but I also loved to sit in/by this tree, as it was right near our white picket fence in a corner of the yard. What fun. I'm so glad we had lilac on Wellwood too. And guess what I planted here when I moved in?? Yes, and they were beautiful this spring.

Nice pix of Hais and Spence -- such cuties.

jensenbo said...

You were right, J, it was myrtle. I dug & planted a forsythia here from a branch from Wellwood, but no luck so far. DR, I have tons of lilies you can dig up here. I love the hostas I got from Bagley. :)