Sunday, June 8, 2008

Running in the rain...

I took the boys on a "date" this afternoon to see Kung Fu Panda. We left for the theatre on the tail end of one of the many thunderstorms that have been blowing through our area lately. We had to run into the theatre dodging pouring rain and watching the lightning strikes in the distance.

A couple of hours later when the movie was over the view outside was much different. The rain was over, the sun was trying to peek out and the parking lot was full of lake sized puddles. Puddles so deep that they had waves - I am not even kidding - the boys were in awe when I pointed them out. These puddles and I have a history and that history was all I could think about when Evan asked me if he could splash in the puddle. My first impulse was to tell him no, but then I figured he has his crocs on and shorts --what's the big deal. So he walked and splashed in the puddle and loved every minute of it. I didn't have my camera with me (though I should keep one in the car - I can't tell you how many cool sky pictures I have missed for lack of camera at hand) so I couldn't photograph him in the puddle - but the amount of water is basically the same as in the pictures I do have from 1990? 91? a mere 17 (GULP) years ago!


My friend Lesley and I came out of the movie theatre years ago and were in the midst of a complete downpour. People were huddled under the awning outside waiting for the rain to lighten up so they could make a bee line for their cars. We waited along with them for a few minutes but the rain didn't show any signs of ending soon. We decided - What the heck? Who cares if we get wet? We weren't going anywhere anyway - God knows, we could never find any of the parties that we heard about. So into the rain we went and got totally and completely soaked. I don't think I have ever been so wet from rain in my life. We knew that it was raining hard and we would get wet, but we didn't expect to be running through a LAKE! We had no idea that the puddles would be so deep! I think I remember yelling that it was almost up to my knees! At that point we were just laughing hysterically and had to get out the camera. I assume it was Lesley with the camera since all the photos are of me. Though I am shocked we didn't do the old honeymoon "I'll take one of you in the rain, then you take one of me in the rain!" Believe me, we have lots of pictures of that sort. I swear, the people watching us from under that awning must have thought we were drunk or high or something because people don't normally have that much fun or laugh so hard over such stupid things as being goofy in the rain. I miss laughs like that. Ones that just make you laugh so hard that your belly hurts and you have tears rolling down your face. I have lots of laughs on a daily basis but not ones like that. Back in "the day", Lesley and I laughed like that constantly. Those were fun times.

I know this is such a random memory and kind of a bizarre thing to write about, but it occurred to me as I was digging these pictures out of my old album that there are so many memories like this in there that are just a photo. No one but Lesley and I know the story or what it means.
At one time I had planned to go back and scrapbook those photos but by the time I get to them I will be about eighty years old and not remember the stories behind the photos. At least this one makes sense now.
I love how you can see the rain drops on the lens!




3 comments:

Lesley said...

oh my gosh, as soon as I started reading this it reminded me of that day, and I hadn't even started to see the pics yet. It cracks me up to see this!! I can't believe that you found these to blog. I remember that day like it was yesterday, and still can't believe how much water was out there. I love all the fun times that we have had, I really cherish all of them. You are such a great friend. I am sure that there will be many more belly laughs for us in the future!!

jensenbo said...

What a wonderful blog --- so much fun!! Glad you let Evs play in the puddle and it brought back this wonderful memory of you and Les and all the fun you had that rainy night after the movie. Nice to have friends that last thru the ages!! :) And the pictures of you were a riot.(those big j-crew polos)

Lesley said...

I love that you can see my little accord in the background! Also, this blog prompted me to go and look for these photos, I found them, and there is not one of me, what's up with that?? They make me laugh.