Monday, June 9, 2008

The future's so bright...I gotta wear shades!



My oldest baby is officially finished with Kindergarten. Well, not "officially", I haven't received confirmation in his report card yet - but if he isn't moving on, none of the class is moving on. I should know - I have quizzed those kids all year!

I was surprised how emotional I felt this morning as I dropped him off at the Kindergarten door for the last time. I was surprised that my voice started to crack a little as I told him to have a good last day as a Kindergartner. I was surprised that I had to blink hard to stop my eyes from welling over a little. Come on! This is the last day! I was supposed to be sad on the first day!


I guess to me the end of Kindergarten just sort of confirms the end of his babyness. He is a first grader now! That seems so old! I don't know where this school year has gone. There were so many playdates I wanted to arrange, car pools to organize and they always seemed to get pushed to the next day or the next week until suddenly there is no more...next.

Spencer got off the bus today with his backpack slung over his shoulder wearing these sunglasses. They were a "crew" reward for the school. He thought he was so cool. I guess he is...he's not a "kindergarten baby stuck in the gravy" any more.

I better grow a thicker skin. What am I going to do when Hailey steps off that Kindergarten bus for the last time? I better have the tissue box ready.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Awe, poor JJ. It will be okay, but just in case, make sure to use the puffs plus kind of kleenex.

jensenbo said...

What a great year Spence had in kindergarten. It was the right decision keeping him there this year. He has grown so much, emotionally and mentally. And so popular with the girls. And boys --- so many friends. I love watching him play t-ball --- he's so full of confidence these days. What a cutie in his "Crew" shades. Way to go, Spence!!

ps. Yes, kids grow up fast --- no more "kindergarten baby", but "1st grade angels" -- is that how it goes?? :)

dr said...

Spencey is growing up so fast! I can't believe that he will be a first grader. I was so impressed with how he read to me when Mira and I were there visiting. We cannot wait to see him this summer. I am sure he has a fun summer with lots of activities ahead.