Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lucky

It is easy to take for granted where we live.  Tonight we walked our five minute walk down to the beach and got to swim and play on a private, deserted beach that a vacationer would kill for.   I have lived near Lake Michigan my whole life - except of course during my college years where I lived in the sweltering valley of Kalamazoo - it is easy to forget how lucky we are.  This lake provides us with so much.  I can't count the number of times I just got in my car and have taken a drive to the lake to clear my head or just listen to music and not think about anything except the lyrics to a song and singing at the top of my lungs.  Trent jokes that riding by the lake is "my strength" - what he says is not entirely in jest.  I do feel a connection to these shores not unlike the Scarlett connection to Tara.  Maybe it has to do with my Grampa and his Grampa fishing these waters - I don't know but somehow this water courses in my veins.  In a few weeks my children will be baptized on this shore of Lake Michigan and I can hardly wait.   

We had a great time tonight.  We all got to go for a nice refreshing swim in the lake.  The water was so warm and just wavy enough to be fun.  We took a walk down the shore and the boys decided they wanted to be rock climbers.  This is the stuff vacations are made of - right in our own back yard.  

Hailey happy with her juice.  She recently learned how to smile on the "cheese" command.
Evan just happy to be jumping in the waves.
Spencer ready to scale the rock mountain.
Little beach baby.
The boys at the top of the rocks.

2 comments:

jensenbo said...

You said it right, J. We are lucky to have this beautiful beach right at our fingertips. One does feel a connection to the beach and water when you are there. In fact, I have been trying to squeeze in beach time whenever I can; the summer is flying by. Like today --- even thought it was later (3:00), it was wonderful there. The water, so refreshing, the air so warm, and oh so inviting. Your beach is semi-private so that makes it extra special for your family. It was fun for me today watching the talented kite-boarders out at PereM. They are awesome, especially when they jump high on the wave. Fun, fun!!

I love the pics of the kids, especially the one of smiling Hais.

Lesley said...

We are lucky to have the lakes right here, and they are so beautiful. I too have spent many an hour at the beach just to think or whatever. It is a peaceful place.