Monday, August 18, 2008

Look who we got our Hanes on now...



Ok - actually they are Fruit of the Loom, but the point is that my oldest son, my baby boy, asked me the other night if I could buy him boxers.

Trent was at golf league and Spencer wanted to read in our bed until he fell asleep. I was tired and wound up hanging out with him watching TV and just talking to him about all the random stuff that he came up with. At one point the conversation was something like this:

Spencer: Mom, Did you know that Jacob wears boxer shorts and not underwear like me?

Mom: No, I didn't know that.

Spencer: I wish I could wear boxer shorts.

Mom: You have those brief type Batman boxers.

Spencer: Those are not REAL boxers! They are different from the ones Jacob wears and the ones that Daddy wears!

Mom: Would you like me to buy you some REAL boxers the next time I am at the store?

Spencer: (With a big smile) YES!

So I held to my promise and the next time I was at the store brought him home this three pack of boxers. I had to search through what seemed like millions of packs of boxers before I could find the small size. When I gave them to him and he read the package he just beamed with the hugest grin I have ever seen. He put a pair on right away - even the small size were still huge for him - but he didn't care. He LOVES them!

I never knew some new underwear could make someone so happy. Are a boy's first pair of boxers tantamount to a young girl's first training bra? Maybe my son just went through one of his first growing up rituals.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

How exciting for Spence. It must the boy thing. That is so nice that he can talk to you about this.I know he is still young, but I hope that he feels comfortable to talk to you about anything for the rest of his life.

dr said...

Wow - I cannot believe my baby nephew is starting to care about his underpants. The peer pressure starting already! Very funny. I like his new boxers!

jensenbo said...

It was so funny this weekend at the cabin watching him put on his shorts over all this extra material in his new boxers. The shorts could barely fit over. Funny. He's getting to be so "old" --- even though he's only 7.

Anonymous said...

No dr-- no "pee-er" pressure--!!!!guess thats why titey whitey granpaul generated girls.

not sure ifn I am really sending this--overcoming the fear of blogging phobia!!!!!