Friday, July 25, 2008

The water boys

Today was the boys' last day of swimming lessons.  Spencer's tennis lessons go for one more week and then we are done with the summer activities.  August is still going to be busy with all the parties that are on the calendar - plus I think the kids are going to be baptized - but at least the early morning day to day running is done.  Maybe we can all finally sleep in!  Yeah, right!

Spencer completed his first series of lessons in the deep end and did a great job.   I am amazed at how far he has come in such a short time.  He is and always has been very comfortable in the water.   I feel that since we are around water so much of the time it is important that the kids can be able to be in the water without panicking if they were to fall in.   Knowing all the basic strokes and breathing is a bonus.  I never had formal swimming lessons and I am not a great swimmer, but I can "save" myself in the water.  

Front float with flutter kick.
Swimming the American crawl with breathing added. 
Back stroke - this is a new stroke he learned but I can't think of the name.



Evan had lessons for the first time this year.  When I was watching him I was guilty of comparing his abilities to Spencer's first time in lessons.  Evan was obviously struggling a little more.  He would put his face in and blow bubbles but when they were supposed to put their whole head under and stay under, he would just stick his face in then pop back up.   He needed a lot more assistance from his teacher and was apprehensive about jumping in the pool without having his hand held.   There were other kids that were at his same ability level - I was just being a bad Mom and comparing him to his brother.   It was not until I got home that I realized that the first time Spencer had lessons he was four and turned five while he was taking the class.  Evan only turned four a few months ago.   Nine months makes a huge difference in the abilities of a kid.   Considering that, Evan did great and he was very proud of himself!  

Blowing bubbles.
Back float across the pool with help from Steve.
Jumping in the pool to swim across.

1 comment:

jensenbo said...

I'm glad the boys are taking swimming lessons and they love being in the water. It's so important considering we love near this gorgeous lake!! (Of course they are little waterbugs at any water source --- pools, rivers, inland lakes etc.