Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Eighteen months...



Dear Hailey,

When you wake up tomorrow morning, you will be closer to a two year old than a one year old. Where did that six months go? It seems like your first birthday was a couple weeks ago, maybe a month. My heart may want to believe that, but my eyes know it is not the case - my little baby is turning into a little toddler girl right in front of me. I can see the subtle changes everyday.

We made another epic journey across the country last week (not really across the country - only to Maryland). Still, a long ride in the car for a little one and you did great. You still amaze me with how well you adapt. Of course you have your melt down moments. You missed numerous naps and were totally overtired, but aside from late night restaurant misbehaving, you handled yourself like a champ, or at least a four year old! You were even pretty good around your little cousin Mirabel and only smacked her in the face with the TV remote one time! Of course after that we were on high alert whenever you were near her and there was that near miss with the shoe we will just forget about!

Speaking of shoes, you have already taken a liking to them.
You enjoy carrying shoes around and moving them from place to place. When your brothers have their friends over and it is time for them to leave, they often times can't find their shoes because you have put them somewhere.

Whenever you hear music you get a huge grin on your face and start dancing away. You kind of bend your legs and bob around or if you are really into it, start waving your arms like you are trying to fly away. You are a dancin' queen!





You are still taking two
 naps during the day. I wonder when the morning nap is going to go by the wayside. I love the fact that you still take two naps, but I know your brothers were about ready to give one up at your age. We had to put a barrier up in your crib to keep you from getting your chunker legs stuck in the slats.

You are starting to say more words and I can tell that even more are right there on the tip of your tongue. You say "hi" to people all the time and wave and say "bye". I swear you say "brother" or your version of it whenever you see Spence or Ev. You say "oh oh" when you drop something. You scream "na" when you want more of something - I think it is your way of saying "another".

We have spent some time in swimming in pools this last month and you are definitely a water baby. You loved floating around in your baby boat thingy and would laugh and kick your legs like crazy. I bought you a life jacket thinking we were probably a year or so away from that, but slapped it on you and you were jumping off the side of the pool into my arms thinking you were the hottest little trick in shoe leather.

You have turned into Mommy's little helper with household chores. You always come running when I am unloading the dishwasher. You even know the correct place to put the plastic cups. You help me load clothes from the washer into the dryer. I hand you the wet item and you throw it in the dryer and think that it is the coolest game ever!







You went on your first carnival ride earlier this month at the festival. You rode with Spence in a little train and loved it. We also checked out the animals in the petting zoo (Mommy's personal hell) while we were there and you were going crazy trying to talk to the animals and touch them. Then you tried to eat one of the dehydrated carrot-type things that we bought to feed them and I was totally grossed out. Animals are not my thing, but apparently, they may be yours.
You had your eighteen month well visit at the doctor and he said you were beautiful and perfect! You weigh 21 pounds and 8 ounces and are 31 inches tall. That puts you in the 30th percentile for height and 20th for weight. The doctor describes you as "trim". He also describes me as "trim" - have I said how much I love that man? He was a little concerned when I told him that you had eaten some peanut butter toast and had redness around your mouth after. He told me I should wait another six months or so before trying peanut butter again since peanut allergies are pretty nasty. You didn't have to have any shots on the visit, so all was fantastic!
Oh, Hailey! You are growing so fast into such a unique little person. I love your laugh, your smile and the way you scrunch up your face in total devious delight. These days it seems like you learn something new each day, and each day I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring!
Love, Mommy

4 comments:

Lesley said...

That is such a sweet letter to Hay. Beautiful shots, I love the first on of her in the tutu. and the one with the water glimmering in the background. Nice job photographer!!

jensenbo said...

What a beautiful letter to your little girl. She is a beauty and the pictures are fantastic!! She's my little sweetie who loves to come to Gramma and cries when she can't. Love her!!

ps. I can't believe she is 18 months already. I love this age; it's the best -- so cherish all the days!!

dr said...

Hailey - you are such a beautiful little girl. I cannot believe how big you are getting! These pictures are beauties. We had fun with you in Baltimore and forgive you, sweet little Hay Bays, for trying to whack baby Mira. :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful...the pictures, the words of love, the whole blog is a work of art. Your love of children is so evident in your sentiments. And your love of your own children is so touching and heartwarming and fun to read. Thank you for this...maybe consider having it put on paper and in a book.