Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Water balloons

Water balloons are things that seem great in theory but in reality - not so much.   Since the first day I brought them home and we played with them, I have tried to hide them from the kids.   The other day they found them.   It was hot outside so they immediately cited that fact and asked if they could have a water balloon fight.  I told them not while Hailey was awake and outside because she could put the balloons or pieces of the busted balloons in her mouth and choke.  They promised they would keep them away from Hailey and they would pick up the broken ones and begged and pleaded and begged and pleaded some more.   Not being able to take anymore whining or hanging on me, I gave in.  

The wonderful people at the water balloon making place include a little piece for you to screw onto your hose spicket to make the actual filling of the balloons easier.  What is doesn't say on the package is that the spicket will leak so prepared to be soaked as you fill each balloon.  Then there is the tying of the balloons.  You have to fill them to just the right amount or you won't have enough "stem" left to tie off the balloon.    While you are getting soaked and cutting off circulation in your fingers tying these, the kids are watching your every move and wondering why you can't move any faster.  The kids just don't understand that the prep for the water balloon fight takes patience and time - things not high on the agenda of little kids.    
Once you get the balloons filled - and however many you fill is never enough - though it seems like you have been filling and tying for the better part of your life - the kids finally get to have fun with them.  Fun.  Fun is not how I would describe the water balloon fight in our yard.   Yelling and crying would be better words to describe it.   The boys cry if they get hit by a water balloon and they yell and cry some more if the one they throw does not hit its intended target.   I have tried to instill in them the water balloon technique of aiming for the ground in front of the person but they still insist on throwing the balloon directly at the person where it just bounces off the person and will always do so unless you throw it with some oomph ( which these kids don't really do).   Yes, I am a water balloon expert - my cousin's and I used to have very elaborate water balloon fights -so I know what I am preaching here.  

So the fun water ballooning game always seems to end with me having to fill at least one more balloon for each crying, disgruntled boy and to keep the peace by letting them hit their desired target - me.  
These things are just great - my next hiding place is going to be the garbage can.  Squirt guns, anyone?

3 comments:

Lesley said...

what a good sport you are!! good mom.

jensenbo said...

Balloon fights --- what fun for the kids. But a mess to clean up after. Cute blog!!

dr said...

I remember our water balloon fights with cousins - in particular, I remember a lot of filling up balloons in Dave and Lee's bathroom sink. I am sure they were really happy about that. Hilarious blog - brought back good summer memories!