Friday, March 28, 2008

What good is a perfect attendance trophy in real life anyway?

He made it to March 28th. Not a bad stretch of wellness for a 6 year old kindergartner - I have seen with my own eyes the sneezing, coughing and random "ickiness" that permeates through his class everyday. Way to go immune system!

Spencer has had some trouble this week. Since I have been so busy dealing with that, I failed to notice until late Wednesday evening that he was not looking like himself. The thermometer revealed a low grade fever and he told me his body felt "dizzy". I gave him some Tylenol and put him back to bed and the next morning he woke up fever free. He still looked a little peaked but I sent him to school anyway because he had some issues to deal with. He seemed fine after school but then into the evening he started to feel sick again. Since Wednesday he has complained of a headache, sore joints (that is the body dizziness), back pain and a cough. His cough is sounding a little worse and this morning he told me his ear hurt a little. He still had a fever this morning so we told him he couldn't go to school today.

Today of course is the day at school he has been looking forward to for the past two weeks. Pajama Day! I felt so sad for him - he was practically begging to go. He told me to just give him medicine and he would be OK. I can just call you if I feel sick at school! Please can I go? It made my heart ache that he was so disappointed. I told him that he couldn't go to school with a fever because he might give his germs to the others kids and then his friends would get sick too. Eventually, through his tears, he agreed that the right thing to do was to stay home.

So here we are, all at home. He is having his own private pajama day which unfortunately is really not the same thing at all. He has a doctor appointment this afternoon. I suspect he has some "non specific viral illness" but I am worried about an ear infection and I really would rather not spend the weekend stressing about what is wrong with him. The doctor will most likely put my mind at ease so I won't spend every minute of the day googleing meningitis and doing symptom checks on WebMD. Yes, that is what a freak I am.

Anyway, he is home today so he no longer has perfect attendance for this year. It was a good goal to go for but his health is more important. There is always next year!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Poor Magoo!! It sounds like the flu.