Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

Our Good Friday tradition is to color Easter eggs - so that is what we did this afternoon. We have been doing this for years. As infants, our kids were forced to watch and participate to the best of their ability. Even before the kids were born, Trent and I would color eggs on Good Friday - probably because we are the geekiest people on Earth but we tend to enjoy doing things that most people would find mundane.

What was funny this year is how excited the boys were to BOIL the eggs. They had watched "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" on TV and thought the part where Marcy puts the eggs in the toaster, the waffle maker and eventually cracks them in the boiling water to make "egg soup" and Peppermint Pattie's frustration with her through it all was about the funniest thing they had ever seen in their young lives. Spencer even decided that Evan should start calling him "sir" as Marcy does to Peppermint Pattie. On a side note, I had never really noticed how "butch" Pattie was until I watched this special with them - and believe me, I have watched a lot of Charlie Brown. Since they were so excited, we decided to boil the eggs yesterday so they would be all ready for coloring today. I have never seen two kids so excited to set eggs into a pan of water. I don't know what they thought was going to happen - I told them that the boiling process was going to be pretty much the opposite of exciting.

After the eggs were hard boiled and I picked out the few that for some reason always crack open. I put them in the garage refrigerator. Big mistake. The fridge is as old as I am ( it came from the house I grew up in) and it runs on the cold side. The milk and pop we put in there will sometimes come out more like a Slurpee - better frozen than rancid I guess. So today I discovered that almost all of them had frozen and cracked open - not the ideal state of eggs for coloring. I called Trent at work and asked him on his way home to pick up another dozen.

Once we had eggs, the coloring began. Spence with his teenage-like attention span did his seven eggs and was ready to watch Ben 10 or whatever mind numbing show was on. Apparently, the actual coloring doesn't hold a candle to the boiling. Weirdo - I guess the boiling is kind of scientific and he really gets into science stuff and experiments. Evan being the artist that he is couldn't get enough. He even colored the cracked ones. Even Hailey got to put stickers on her own little egg. She liked picking at the stickers and then was trying to eat the egg -shell and all. In frustration she dropped it on the floor, of course it cracked apart so I cut it up for her to eat without the shell.












Spencer doesn't really get the concept of seasonal appropriate clothes. He doesn't think that a tank top in 20 degree weather is a poor choice. I have stopped fighting him since he strips out of his clothes about ten times a day, I am just happy he had something on.




The Easter Lily that Spence and Trent brought home for me. I set it in the window to take a picture and noticed how wrong it looked against the snowing background. I can't believe we had to shovel about 4 inches of snow on the second day of Spring! When will it ever end? All in all, it was a very good Friday.




1 comment:

Lesley said...

Awwww, glad that you had a good, Good Friday.
On another note, I know the music is distracting for you, but come on, pick some fun songs that will bring back some funny memories. We have so many songs that mean so much!