Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The next Mitch Gaylord?




I am surely showing my age with the title of this post. I don't care - Mitch ruled at the 1984 Olympics and I think every teenage girl in America fell in love with him. Remember he went on to do that American Anthem movie? I thought that movie was the BEST! Only when I see it now do I realize how horrible it really was. He may have not been great at acting but no one could touch him in gymnastics! I guess I could have titled this post with Paul Hamm or someone a little more recent but Mitch and Mary Lou were from my day and I still am amazed by their abilities. They will always be tremendous American athletes. I digress...







I took these photos yesterday at Evan's last day of gymnastics. In the fall he did the same class for a month and now just finished his second go at it. He really enjoys the class and was a little bummed that it is over. It wasn't in my opinion a real gymnastics class. The high school gymnastics team just basically held their hands as they walked the beam or jumped off the vault. The kid's have fun though and get to burn off a ton of energy so it is totally worth it.

We are thinking about getting him into a real class maybe next fall. I am sure it will be a bigger time commitment so we will have to make sure that he is really into it - but if that is something he wants to do, we will make it happen. I think he would be a really great gymnast. He definitely has the body type for it and already has an amazing "springiness". I don't know what it is but when he jumps it is like he is on a trampoline all the time - kind of like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh! I would love it if gymnastics is something he wants to pursue. I would much rather have him be a gymnast than a football player. Gymnasts are tough - I would like to see a football player on the rings or that high bar.

Olympics year 2020? Who knows?






















I love this picture because this is Evan's version of two thumbs up. If we give him the thumbs up this is what he does back.




2 comments:

jensenbo said...

I don't remember Mitch Gaylord --- but then I'm lots older than you. :) I do remember Bart Conner --- didn't he marry Nadia --- your favorite gal gymnast?

The pics of Evan are adorable -- and he's adorable!! Maybe he will be a great gymnast someday. I'm glad he enjoyed his classes.

Lesley said...

It is so fun to see the kids do something on their own and see their personalities break through. Evan is so cute!
I remember Mary Lou, not so much of Mitch.