Saturday, March 22, 2008

If Duff saw this he would cry in his fondant.

The past four or five years, I have made a bunny cake for Easter. Not always this 3-D version - there is also the basic rabbit head with bow cake. This year I decided since we were not hosting Easter at our house and since last year we traveled the bunny cake all over with us and no one ate it - I would not make the cake. As fate would have it, Spencer asked me yesterday when we were going to make the bunny cake. So, I kind of felt like I had to make one - at least for
our family - and let's face it - it is not too hard to convince me to make something sweet.

The boys and I made the cake and decorated it today. It is not our best work. I have to confess that I should have doubled the frosting recipe to cover all of the imperfections but at the point I realized that, I was much too tired and figured that the boys and I didn't care what it looked like and we were the only ones that were going to eat it. The boys were giddy with happiness - they named the bunny Shoovey and kept asking me to take pictures of them with him. Oh o.k...if you REALLY want me to.

What was funny was that the whole time I was "constructing" this cake I couldn't stop thinking of Chef Duff and the Ace of Cakes show. PS - One of my all time favorite shows on TV. I don't know how close Baltimore is to where my cousin is getting married, but know this, if we go to that wedding and Charm City Cakes is within an hour drive time - we are SO THERE! I want my picture taken in front of that building and if they have a second - obviously a few decorating tips!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Cute cake, and what great memories with your kids. Who knew about your cake decorating excitement! I know of no chef Duff.

jensenbo said...

What a cute little bunny cake. I bet it was yummy. Did the kiddies eat it all up? You are so creative, J. Who do you get that from anyway?? I love to watch the Ace of Cakes show too. The cakes are amazing.

Anonymous said...

O-I would be SO THERE as well! Chef Duff and the gang are amazing!! One of my favorites was the baseball stadium! it's been a long time since i've seen an episode....i think tho, you could show them a thing or two!!
;)