Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tired

Remember the commercial for Dunkin Donuts where the guy was just tired and dragging and his famous "time to make the donuts" line? That is how I am feeling right now. What a week to start daylight savings time. I am exhausted in the morning and have to drag the kids out of bed for school because our bodies haven't adjusted to the new wake up hour. On top of that, it is tech week for the musical. Translation: Trent will be gone from 7:00am until 11:00pm or better all week. For some reason it always seems like this last week is the worst. I don't know if it is because he is gone so much or if the whole extent of the past weeks of "play stuff" have just reached the breaking point. I would think it would be better - 7 more days - I can see a light at the end of the tunnel - but no. Usually at some point I will go totally nuts on the kids and then totally regret it because I realize that they are just being kids and it is not their fault that I am basically a single Mom for this week and it is not their fault that their Dad chose the career path that he did. So far though - and granted, it is not over yet - things haven't gotten to that point. I think we are all too tired.

On top of our normal everyday things to do. Monday afternoon Evan had his gymnastics class. After that, we did the cliche' over scheduled family dinner in the car on the way to RPHS so Spence could rehearse for his role in the musical. Tuesday evening we headed back over to RP for another rehearsal then on the way home stopped at Spencer's school for a Rainforest Animal Show. Maybe not the greatest idea. The school had the kid's all excited about it by giving them a ticket during the day that entitled them to touch a live alligator. Ingenious huh? So I purchased the 5 dollar a piece tickets for me and the boys and we snuck into the gymnasium (we were about 20 minutes late for the show). The image of packed like sardines would probably not quite do justice to how crowded it was in there. The boys immediately snaked their way up to the front - which was great. I held Hailey and balanced precariously in the tight little spot I could muster. It was about 99 degrees in there and of course we all had our jackets on. It took Evan about 2 minutes before he started crying about needing a drink. I was thinking the same thing -but more along the lines of chugging margaritas. I seriously wanted to drag them both out of there - I was so hot and frustrated. After the intermission (and the shedding of coats) and successfully dodging all of Spencer's attempts to buy something (because of course the hall was filled with merchandise - what little kid wouldn't want a 25 dollar stuffed monkey?) on the way out they got to touch the alligator. Hallelujah. It really was a well done show and if I hadn't been melting would have been quite impressed. The boys loved the monkeys and the smiles on their faces were well worth every minute.

So here it is Wednesday afternoon, I should be taking a nap but I missed my chance. Kids are waking up. After dinner we will run Spence to rehearsal - time to make the donuts.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

It reminds me a bit of my blog. It is exhausting being a mom, however, the gift of a child (or three in our case) outweighs it incredibly. You are such a good mom!

Lesley said...

Your picture in the corner of the three kids cracks me up! Evan's face with Hay all over him. Funny!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley said...

I want to know what was deleted.............Inquiring minds want to know.