Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Sunday stroll...

On Sunday afternoon the kids and I decided to take a walk down to the beach for the first time this year. The day was Spring-like and warm - a perfect day for a walk. Plus it let Trent get to watch the Spartans fight for a spot in the sweet sixteen in a bit of peace and quiet. While we walked, the wind started to pick up a bit and I worried that it would be too chilly to stay down there for more than a minute or two.

I was so surprised to get there and realize that we were sheltered from the wind so it actually felt warmer. The lake was like glass. Not a wave in site. Why can it never be like that on days that I have to ride on that rotten ferry?


The kids had such a great time walking around and picking up sticks and other bits of debris that had recently been revealed when the snow melted. I swear they would play on that beach all day if they could. Hailey was a bit tentative at first. She was a little weirded out about walking on the sand. I think she forgot how unstable it was. She stared out at the lake for the longest time as evidenced by the photo above - seemingly in awe that something so immense had been right in her own backyard all of this time.



They made sand cakes and castles and collected sticks for a future bonfire. Hailey plopped into the sand and just drew lines and shapes with her fingers. Evan was thrilled to collect tons of little mussel shells and fill his pockets with all his treasure. I took a ton of photos - the ones here are only a small sampling.

I just don't want to forget how genuinely happy Evan was while he was emptying the sand out of his shoes. And how Spencer took his shoes completely off and left them on the "shoe rock" and ran around the beach in his black socks. Or how Hailey just watched the sand falling through her fingers in complete awe. How I made Evan turn his shirt inside out in fear that I would get a photo that I would want to blow up and display and his shirt would be covered ( I mean COVERED) in stickers that read "This DVD property of the Klairter family". Thank you Disney Movie Club. And their hands -especially their hands - those chunky, clumsy, filthy, little baby hands that so meticulously and excitedly pickup treasures for their careful inspection.


I can't wait to go back.









I do have to say that I was a little surprised the next day that my calves were extremely sore. I have been going on the treadmill and doing the Wii Fit - not as often as I should, but pretty often. Granted, I have been indulging in sweets that I make mostly as desserts or lunch bag treats for the kids. And I won't mention the M&M stash that seems to dwindle much quicker now that I got some cute little candy jars that sit on my counter. Where was I.....sore calves...right. Anyway, they do really hurt. It reminds me of when Trent and I visited my sister out east and went to Boston. We climbed to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument - 294 steps - up and down. My legs felt like jello when I was done. That was nine years ago - when I was in shape - before my children ruined my figure for life - before I had anyone to make brownies for. Two days after Boston we visited New York City and I could hardly bend my legs. Going down stairs was impossible - I would just have to hold the rail and sort of slide my body down as best as I could. I am sure the folks watching me come down the stairs to get on the subway had a huge laugh - or maybe felt sorry for me because they thought I walked like that all the time. Looking back now it is hilarious but at the time not so much.

My calves don't hurt THAT bad. I am just wondering why they do. I guess pushing 50+ pounds of kids in the Burley into the wind and walking up fifty or so stairs carrying a twenty pound little girl is a little more intense than the Wii Fit Ski Jump.


I guess I need more excercise. Like I said before, I can't wait to go back!






2 comments:

Lesley said...

What nice memories you make with your kids. It is so nice that you document the regular day to day things. I love the pic of Hailey with the sand between her fingers.

jensenbo said...

Aren't we so lucky, like you said, to have that spectacular lake in our "backyard"? I love walking to the beach and seeing the wonder of it all. And to see it through your kids eyes makes even more special. Good exercise too. Love the great photos of the kids!!