Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish for the day

Top o' the morning to you! We are not Irish. Not even a little. We don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

We wear the green just in case that someone is in a pinching mood, but for the most part the day is just like any other day. I say "for the most part" because St. Patrick's Day happens to be Grampa Paul's birthday and we usually celebrate his day by baking him some sort of treat (usually German chocolate cupcakes - German - not Irish) and bringing them to him.

This year was a bit different. Evan's day of snack helper duties happened to fall on their St. Patty's celebration day and being the overachiever that I tend to be...I just couldn't let an opportunity go by. So here is what we brought.

I happened to have a four leaf clover cookie cutter in my box of one hundred shapes so we whipped up some finger jello. Lime and Melon Fusion. I am partial to the lime - I had never been a huge fan, but after I delivered Hailey the nurse brought me some lime jello and I tell you what - it tasted like the best thing on Earth. I can't get enough ever since. We made a batch of the melon because a boy in Ev's class is allergic to citrus - there may not even be any "real" citrus in jello, but I was not taking any chances. Finger jello is just the best. We have a whole container in our fridge of the "remnants" - I have eaten so much gelatin in the last couple of days I could use my nails (if I had any) for a screwdriver.

Then we put together this yummy recipe we found on a website. Air popped popcorn drizzled with a bit of white chocolate. Then throw in some mini-marshmallows and green M&M's. It was so easy and so good. We divided it into our shamrock bags and he had a snack to share that would make a leprechaun proud.

Blog note: Spencer made the leprechaun at the top of the post. I just thought he was cute and Spencer did such a good job coloring him. I remember back to when Spencer was Evan's age he would just scribble anything he had to color with a black crayon. He has come along way!

1 comment:

jensenbo said...

I hate to dispute your heritage, Jenna, but you do have some Irish blood in you --- your great,great,great,great grandfather, Robert Campbell was from Ireland. (Found it on our family tree). So the next St. Pat's day you and your kiddies can wear green with pride!! :)
Your treats look so yummy!! Yes, Spencer is quite the artist these days. I remember when we ate at Russ's. I was impressed!!