Sunday, September 14, 2008

The chex mix fairy




Over the summer, Trent and I started to catch a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel that we have been journeying through the past seven years with our kids waking us everyday at the crack of dawn.

This summer, the boys were wonderful at sleeping in. Most days, Spencer would wake up first and come into our room and hang out in our bed or play at the foot of our bed until Evan woke up. We were still able to sleep. As the summer wore on, Spence would wake up, walk through our room and use our bathroom to go pee and tell one of us that he was going downstairs to watch TV. We were still able to sleep. Eventually he would just stay in his room and play or head downstairs to watch TV and we would hear Evan down there joining him within a half hour or so...and we were still able to sleep.

Most days one of them would walk upstairs to ask if they could have a snack or candy. We told them that they could have granola bars or cereal bars but no candy at seven in the morning. I don't know why they didn't get out the skillet and start whipping up the pancake batter...kidding...I know this post already makes it sound like we are in the running for the bad parents of the year award. As if we were not contenders enough, toward the end of the summer the kids would get into the pantry and start their breakfast appetizers by eating Pringles, Cheetos or whatever other forbidden booty they could get their hands on. On this particular day it was Chex mix.

I remember Spencer coming upstairs and into our room and telling me that he had a treat for me. I remember mumbling thank you and then going back to sleep. When I woke up I saw the "treat" on my bedside table and didn't think much of it until I went to make the bed and noticed a similar "treat" next to Trent's pillow. Notice how he made sure that we both had the same pieces. I just had to photograph his gesture because it is so loving albeit a bit wrong on our part. I love how he is so thoughtful of other people's hankerings for salty snack mix in the morning.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

that is so thoughtful of Spence. what a nice boy!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Sounds so much like the on-goings at the Lindeman residence....minus the treats for mom & dad...
Love this post!!!