Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Snow White

This afternoon a commercial for a Sleeping Beauty castle toy was on the TV. I looked over at Spence who was watching the commercial and smiling the embarrassed sort of smile he gets when people on TV kiss or anything gross like that.

Mom: Is that something you want for Christmas, Spence?

Spencer: (Mortified I caught him watching) NO!!!! I think Hailey might want it for her first birthday though.

Evan: I think I might want that for Christmas.

Spencer: Evan! That is for girls! Why would you want something for girls?

Mom: It doesn't have to be for girls. Boys can like the fairy tales and princesses too. You like to watch Snow White and those other princess movies.

Spencer: (A little cocky) Mom, Don't you ever tell anyone that I watch Snow White!

I guess that somewhere between three and six years old is where their little minds form the concept of gender specific toys.

I remember one afternoon when Spence was about Ev's age we were at Barnes and Noble and Spence was playing in the kid's section with the Thomas train. A boy probably a little older than him came over to play. They played pretty well together with the train and with the toys and dolls around that area. Then the boy asked Spence "Do you want to know what is gross?" Of course Spencer replied yes and my mind immediately began to fill with images that I would somehow have to erase from my baby's mind. "Princesses" was his reply. He had noticed the princess paraphernalia around the train area. I will never forget this part....Spencer just looked at him kind of funny and said to him " I LIKE princesses!" The boy didn't say another word.

No comments: