Friday, October 5, 2007

Big words, Big concepts.

While hunting for garage sale items in the basement, I came across another one of Evan's dinosaur "valleys". A "valley" is the flimsy piece of plastic resembling a dinosaur habitat that comes with the dinosaurs. Most people would just throw these away when the kid is not looking because they are basically worthless. They are too garbage-bag-like to support the weight of the dinosaurs, so they are not very fun to play with. I haven't gotten rid of them because they are an integral part to Evan's dinosaur world - he loves them. I am sure Gramma got her fill of them last weekend while playing dinosaurs every spare second because yesterday when she watched Ev, she brought over some cardboard and contact paper and what do you know...the valleys totally rock now! Go Gramma!

Anyway, today when I found another one instead of throwing it away (good Mommy) I called Ev down and showed it to him. "OH!" he said "We need to call Gramma and tell her! We need to LAMINATE it!". Laminate. Perfectly clear. Three years old. My former English major heart swells with pride. Go Gramma!

On another dinosaur note...yesterday while driving Spence home from soccer he says (in typical Spencer way) "Mom can I tell you something?" I said yes, thinking he was going to say he didn't really like soccer or something to do with the practice. "I am kinda scared that a meteor is going to hit Earth and I don't want to be extinct like the dinosaurs! I am kinda scared that the meteor will hit us and we will die!" I reassure him that nothing like that will happen as my mind is filling with images of that Bruce Willis/Ben Affleck movie where the asteroid is hurling toward the Earth. I don't tell him that after seeing movies like that, I fear the same things and am positive in my demented mind that the scientists know things are headed our way and just doesn't tell us because of the panic that would ensue. I just tell him not to worry about things like that, that we will not become extinct like the dinosaurs. I will do the worrying for all of us.

No comments: