Friday, October 19, 2007

Mourning nap

I am beyond frustrated. As much of a cliche as it is, it seems that every step forward I take around here leads to two giant steps backward. Parenting is such a struggle sometimes. Today has been particularly so.

I am little by little trying to organize the junk piles hidden in inconspicuous places. Coat closets. Drawers. Catch all baskets. Each one I start to tackle brings on more junk because within these debris fields are boxes, baskets and numerous other containers filled with more stuff to go through. Not to mention old clothes, shoes, hats, mittens to figure out which still fit, can be passed on...UGH! In the midst of doing this I have all of my other everyday Mother duties to contend with so the house is just littered with to do piles and looks worse than when I started because I can't find the time or energy to get there. The extracurricular cleaning has to take back burner to the daily necessities. Food. Clothes. Laundry. Basically, all the other piles.

The kicker is that the majority of my "free" time is in the afternoon while Hailey and Evan nap. They have been napping horribly. Evan has not napped in three days and I am PRAYING that this is not the beginning of the end for him. To be fair, he does stay in his room and play by himself, but he gets SO cranky later in the day. He fell asleep in the car on the 7 minute ride to soccer practice yesterday. Frustrating. Not to mention that I have also had to change his bedding THREE times this week. Yesterday he threw up a little in his bed (still don't know what that was all about) and the other incidences were pee pee "accidents". He takes off his pull up and wonders why he has accidents. I went up there today and the pull up was off, there was a pee pee trail on the floor and he was sitting in his closet playing with toys. I yanked the pull up back on, tossed him into bed and took the dinosaurs out of the room. I feel bad. He is such a good kid, but my patience is wearing so thin.

Spencer came home from school with a note from his teacher saying that he has had a bad week as far as following directions and keeping his hands to himself. I don't know how to get through to him. It seems like we have to talk to him about correcting some part of his behavior CONSTANTLY! Not to sound self righteous like "my kid would never act like that!" but I wonder sometimes if he is bored. Maybe he should not have gone to DK. From what I can tell from helping in his class - he is one of the top kids. Looking back, maybe we should have requested the other teacher. He wouldn't have been so "comfortable" and maybe wouldn't be having such a hard time.

I am going to try to look at the big picture and realize that laundry, clutter and naughty notes don't amount to a hill of beans in the scheme of things - but sometimes it seems that way when you are drowning in them.

No comments: