Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sunday at the cabin

On Sunday we drove up to the cabin for the day to see how our war with the mice was waging.  Since we found no signs of droppings or acorns, no traps were sprung and the cheese was still in tact - petrified, but in tact - I would say that we are winning the battle so far.  I expect the mice to turn around and make their last stand, but hopefully we will be ready for them.
 
Trent fixed a couple of screens that needed mending and attempted to straighten the power pole on the roof, but ran into some difficulty with that.  It was a hot day so the kids and I mostly waded around in the river and tried in vain to keep the deer flies away from us. 
 

Spencer took some time to read his library book by the fire.  It was such a scorching day I am surprised it didn't burst into flames.




Daddy Boy contemplating his next move with the power pole.







Spencer and Dad decided to kayak from the access and pull Hailey and Evan along for the ride in the blow up boat.   I got them set up then headed back to the cabin to drop the car and grab my camera and find them along the route.



It took me forever to find them.  They got hung up a couple of times on logs I guess.  It was much harder to pull the little boat than you would think it would be.




This picture makes it look like they are in rapids or something.  Trent must have paddled at just the right moment.  Unfortunately, one of the times they were hung up caused the boat some damage and as soon as they got back it started to lose air pretty quickly.  I think we have a patch kit for it somewhere in the cabin.  It seems like those blow up boats never last long in our care.  This river is just too wild for them! 


It was a fun way to spend the day.  I have no idea when we will be back again.  We have a busy couple of weeks coming up and then a family road trip that I can't wait for.  This summer seems to be flying by - but I guess they always do.

No comments: