Friday, October 17, 2008

Lullaby

"The lullaby is the spell whereby the mother attempts to transform herself back from an ogre to a saint."

James Fenton


I know my last post was a bit on the negative side. Things are better now. It seems there is nothing that can't be remedied by some fresh air, exercise endorphins and the sound of Josh Groban singing Paul Simon's "America". That day was a "bad Mom day" and we all know we have them - if we didn't we wouldn't be human. I want this blog to be something that my family can look back on and see our "real" life, not a sugar coated version of it. Some days are tough - you just gotta get past them.

After re-reading the last post in my more positive state I remembered the above quote that I had ripped out of a magazine years ago. I found these pictures of the kids sleeping that were taken over the summer and decided to post them along with it.

The last thing I do before I go to bed is tuck the kids in. I can't go to sleep without arranging their covers and giving them one last kiss. When I stare into their sleeping faces, I can see my babies. During the day they are growing and changing before my eyes, but at night while they sleep - their faces are still their baby faces. Does that make sense to anyone but me? I don't know, but I do know that I could look at those sweet sleeping kids forever.




4 comments:

Lesley said...

What a sweet post. It brings such joy to a mother so see their child sleeping, just as you wrote. A time of peace (not to mention, peace and quiet) for them, without any worries, just happy dreams.

Lesley said...

ps, I love the quote.

jensenbo said...

What beautiful grandchildren I have!! Loved your post and the quote.

dr said...

Very touching! I am already treasuring the times when Mira snuggles in and falls asleep on me. I can imagine, though, that I too will always be able to "see my baby" in her - even when she is grown up. You have beautiful children - what a lucky auntie I am!