Monday, April 14, 2014

Biking to the beach

On one of our last spring break days, the boys were off frisbee golfing and Hailey and I decided to go for a bike ride.  She rode, I tried to keep up with her while walk/running.  She made it on her bike down our street until her bike started making a weird squeak sound and feeling like the tire was grinding on something forcing her to keep stopping.  We trudged her bike back up the hill to our garage and I told her that we could both just walk and enjoy the day.  She was having none of that, she wanted to ride and she had her sights set on Evan's bike.
 
We found a wrench and lowered the seat for her.  The bike is a bit bigger than she is used to, but she rode it like a champ!  I know it doesn't really look big for her - her bike - the one she rides all the time is just way too small for her.
 

As we went by the road to the beach Hailey asked if we could go see the water.  I was afraid it would be a little chilly down there, but we went anyway.  I was so glad that we did.  There was no wind.  The sand was warm and toasty.  It was perfect!


Those "islands" in the water are still icebergs covered with sand.  It looked crazy down there. I have never seen it like that.  At least that I can remember.





It doesn't really feel like spring until you have made your first visit to the beach.



I have to admit that seeing people's pictures on "Facebook don't talk about Facebook" of their Florida vacations and fun times made me a little envious.  But on this Friday when Hailey and I were hanging out on the beach,  a beach that so many around here take for granted - it felt like we were on a mini vacation.  And all those travelers that had such grand times still had to or were in the process of making their LONG journeys home.   That is why we are so lucky  - THIS is our home.



What a great afternoon! Can you believe all the ice still on the lake?

No comments: