Monday, November 17, 2008

The view out our window


I don't know if I am ready for this. I can remember the day last spring when the last little pile of snow FINALLY melted. It seriously seems like it was a month ago - the summer went by that fast.

I don't know why it takes so much longer to get kids ready to go out in this weather. I knew where all the winter "gear" was. It was just so much of a process - at least it felt that way. I was a bit ahead of the game because I knew the boots that Spencer would wear this winter because he wore them with his Halloween costume - they were the only motorcycle boot-like shoe wear that we had and I wasn't planning on buying any to wear for one day. The funny part is that they are hand me downs from cousin Grant and they had been sitting on the shelf in the garage for quite a while. When I started banging them around to get the white baby powder off of them, acorns and bits of acorns were coming out of them. I was getting totally freaked out and the heebie jeebies while I just waited for a baby chipmunk or worse yet, some sort of carcass to fall out. Only acorns - thank God! The weird part was that they were only in the two pairs of boots that would actually fit Spencer. I think that those were the only ones that had nice warm fluffy padding in them - optimal for a nice chipmunk retreat. But, the fact that everyday Spencer is turning into me with regard to his "pickiness" about things and knowing that after seeing what came out of the boots I would be grossed out to stick my big toe into them - I didn't tell him. He asked eventually what all the acorns and bits of acorn were doing on the garage floor and I told him the truth. He opted to not wear the boots for trick or treating while looking toward the garage in disgust. I can't say that I blamed him. For the record, the boots are fine. I have even shoved my hand in them to check for lining damage and holes. There were literally only acorn parts and pieces in there - no poop, no torn off bits of fur from the boots. I think the chipmunk only used them for a nice warm storage space. But the fact that the chipmunk could have pooped or peed in there was enough to turn Spencer against them. So today when faced with inches of snow and the necessity for boots, I wasn't sure how things would go. While putting them on he asked me if they were the boots he wore with his Halloween costume. I told him that they were. He asked if the chipmunk put more acorns in them. I told him that he did not. He shoved the boots on and was out the door. I guess new fallen snow trumps potential excrement in the mind of a young boy.

Secretly, I like the snow during this time of the year. From right before Thanksgiving until January 1st, the snow falling outside the window fills me with a comfy feeling of peace. It gets me in the holiday spirit. I would much rather have snow on the ground for Christmas then to have no snow at all - it just feels all wrong. As soon as the holidays are over though....it can go away until the next November!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I agree with the comfort feeling/ or "peaceful easy feeling" if you will. It's nice to know you are all cozy inside while the snow cascades quietly down outside. However, I am okay if it just snows like 2 days before Christmas, then is gone about 2 weks later!

dr said...

I cannot believe how much snow you have already - wow. We have had some fall, but really none has stuck. Glad Spence likes his boots! Someday he'll tell his kids about how he had to trudge through feet of snow to the bus-stop with chipmunk infested boots...

jensenbo said...

What a funny post. Spence is just like you --- too fussy!! :) I agree with fisher on the snow. It can be gone after Christmas!!