Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankful tree


The "thankful tree" has become a Thanksgiving time tradition in our home. We took a couple of tree branches from outside, taped them together, spray painted the finished product and stuck it into a flower pot. Voila' - thankful tree!

We are trying to instill gratitude in the kids. We use the tree to try and make them think and realize that they live a good life and they have much to be thankful for. This year, they both seemed to "get it" much more than they did last year.



We sat down and talked about what it meant to be thankful then I asked them what things in their lives they were thankful for. This year for the first time, Spencer grabbed some leaves and started writing - that was very cool! Spencer wrote that he is thankful for: toys, trees, food, wadr (water), air, frends (friends), hows (house), momy, dady and TV. Evan had to be coaxed a bit but came up with some good answers and then grew tired of it. Evan is thankful for: my house, my family, my Dad, dinosaurs and everything. I wish I had written down what they said last year. I think I kept the leaves somewhere thinking I would scrapbook them - Ha! I think it will be fun to compare how their answers change as they grow up and realize what things in their lives they hold most dear.
I love this tradition and hope that we continue to carry it on from year to year.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

What a great tradition you are doing with the boys, and good morals. Great idea!!!

dr said...

Cool idea, Jen. I am considering copying you for my Thanksgiving centerpiece. I hope yours goes well tomorrow. We will miss you and the fam!

Anonymous said...

Jen...you might have to put a patent on your tree. I think it would be great to do every year AND to scrapbook. I try to scrap Thanksgiving and Christmas in one Holiday book, and this would be a great memory! Thanks for the idea....I just hope I remember next fall!! :)

jensenbo said...

The boys & Hai have much to be thankful for --- two beautiful and giving parents. A good way to instill good values in your kids.