Friday, November 2, 2007

Scary

This has been a scary week in many ways. The real shake you to your core kind of scary with Dan's illness, surgery and looming recovery. The fun kind of scary with Halloween festivities and the sugar rush that lasts for days after. Finally, the wanting to beat your head against the wall while throwing things at your kids because they drive you crazy kind of scary.

Evan's naps have still been sporadic. I can live with every other day or so. What I can't handle is the over tired hyperness that he exhibits when he doesn't nap during the day. He has such a strong personality to begin with. He is very literal. He does not like it if you say to him something like " see you later alligator" - he will get angry and tell you that he is NOT alligator, he is EVAN! He is easily frustrated and gets a temper when things don't go the way he thinks they should or he can't do something. That is him all the time, but on top of that, this week he has decided to use his artistic ability in ways that I don't agree with - using markers on the wall, carpet and his body. I don't know how many times we talk about coloring only on paper. I must say it at least three times a day. What synapse is not firing? Then there are the diapers. God bless the boy for taking off his own diaper and trying to dispose of it, but I don't know how many times I have told him that dirty diapers do not belong in with his clothes for the laundry, they need to go in the trash. Tonight in his laundry I even found one with a poop in it! Are you freakin' kidding me?

Spencer seems to be turning into a teenager before my eyes. I am so tired of the snotty attitude and the dismissiveness when I ask him why he is not behaving in the desired fashion. He is still getting not great weekly reports from school. It is so frustrating to me. I am glad that he enjoys school and has friends to "act out" with, but I don't know how to reiterate to him that school is for learning and rule following. I just want him to be a good kid. The thing that drives me the most crazy is the manners. We have always tried to instill in them good manners. I tell him that when he gets off the bus he should tell the bus driver goodbye and thank you. Yeah right. On Fridays, the driver has candy for them and she always lets him take one for Evan as well. Today he waltzes in with the candy and I ask him " Did you tell her thank you for the candy?" He says " Oh, I think I forgot." How is it possible for him to forget to say thank you with my mug staring him in the face as he gets off the bus. What more of a reminder does he need? I have decided to drop the hammer. They are getting nothing around here unless the good manners come back. Evan is usually pretty good. Spencer is in for a rude awakening. Emily Post here we come!

No comments: