Friday, November 30, 2007

Knowing where the expression "let sleeping dogs lie" came from

Last night around 10:30, I went in Hailey's room to tuck her in. She stirred a little and opened her eyes. I thought she smelled poopy and since she was semi-awake decided to change her. Pee is one thing but I can't let her little bum be covered with poop all night. The first thing I noticed was that she had managed to work one leg out of her jammies so she resembled a three legged octopus. This happens quite regularly. She also will get both legs into one pajama leg so she looks like a mermaid. She is a wiggle worm. I set her on the floor to change her - of course there was no poop and now she was WIDE awake. I considered changing her jammies since the ones she had on were a little small and just cotton - I thought maybe she would be warmer in fleece. I was tired and she was mostly dressed so decided not to. I put her back in bed and she started to fuss as she normally does. It usually lasts a minute or so then she soothes herself and goes back to sleep.

For the next two hours she continued to cry and fuss in her bed. I went in there around 11:00 and brought her back to our bed and nursed her. She seemed tired and ready to sleep. Apparently she didn't want to sleep in her bed. The crying continued. Not a screaming cry, just intermittently she would keep crying out. Mostly to let us know she was mad. Around 11:30 Trent went in to turn her fish light back on and re-tuck her. The crying continued. Finally at 12:3o a.m. I went in and picked her up. Her leg was back out octopus style so I changed her pj's into her fleece ones that zip and told her it was "na na" time and put her in bed. She laid in there just yapping and kicking like crazy. I think at this point she was so overtired she didn't know what to do. I left and she screamed her head off for a minute or so. Then it was quiet. Of course, then I am laying in bed thinking What happened? How can she be SCREAMING one minute and quiet the next? Is something wrong with her? So of course around 1:00 a.m. I sneak into her room to check on her and there she is looking up at me. I tell her night night and leave the room. WAH! Lucky for me, she only cried a minute or so and then she was quiet again.

No comments: