Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Brusha, Brusha, Brusha!

Spencer had a dentist appointment today. I was dreading it for two reasons. One, the last time he went, he was awful. He cried and carried on and wouldn't let the hygienist do anything until I sat in the chair and he sat on ME in the chair. Comfy. Even then his cooperation was limited. Two, I had to bring all three kids with me and didn't know how I would manage them if a repeat of the last visit occurred. I probably scheduled the appointment at 4:30 because I figured that Trent would be home from school and could watch the kids or he could take Spence. But alas, the play!

Spence seemed pretty OK with the whole thing. He told me his stomach felt a little funny when he thought about going and I explained to him the "butterflies in your tummy" when you are a little nervous about something. He got a real kick out of that. I told him that I was being totally honest with him about it not being a big deal, that a checkup and cleaning will not hurt at all. I cited the fact that I was upfront with him about the flu shot when I told him that it would in fact hurt for a second and then he would be fine. He was - he never even cried. So he seemed OK - yet I was still apprehensive. He seemed OK the last visit and then we walked in the exam room and total meltdown followed.

He did amazing! I could not have been more proud of him. He sat in the chair, he opened his mouth, he did everything the hygienist told him to do. He did not cry or fuss at all! He answered her questions...I was in awe. (Even Evan and Hailey just sat in the exam room and watched the whole thing - uh...who are you and where are MY kids?) I was even impressed with the fact that he told the hygienist and then the dentist when he came in "Don't hurt me, OK!" before they began to probe his mouth with the explorer. I don't think when I was six years old I would have had the guts to tell a grownup something like that. Then we were done and Spence and Ev both got to pick a toy from the prize cupboard and life could not have been better. And somewhere in this town an orthodontist is smiling thinking of the money soon to be coming his way since they already gave us a referral for Spencer. Apparently his mouth is already overcrowded and destined to be animal-like, as was Trent's. Spence better get used to "mouth doctors" because it looks like the next years may be full of them. Great.

No comments: