Tuesday, March 1, 2016

He takes his battles seriously



March is reading month which means there are going to be a lot of fun things happening around here that have to do with books and reading books.

Evan came home from school with a sheet I had to sign that acknowledged that I would support him in his reading so he could participate in the 6th grade Battle of the Books.   From what I understand the kids in each English class are assigned into groups of five and then have to spend the month each reading a book and then will have to answer questions about the books quiz bowl style.  After you finish your initial book you can read as many of the others that you want - as long as you are finished within the month.

I told Evan that I recalled when Spencer did the Battle of the Books he came home with a medal.  I don't remember if it was first place or not but I know his team did well.  Evan then asked me who Spencer's English teacher was and when I told him he said that is why he won - the teacher's class has won every year for the past ten years or so.  Evan really wanted to win so his teacher could finally get some Battle bling. He went on to say he wasn't sure it would happen because his team was less than stellar.  He said he would read and another girl would be into it and one of the boys would probably be alright, but he was pretty sure the final two kids on the team wouldn't read a word.

I was kind of joking when I told him that he was a reader and that he could just read all five books and try to carry the team.

I laughed out loud when he told me that was what he has been planning to do.  He finished his first book over the weekend and is half way into his second.


That kid.  I can't even.  He makes me so happy.

I feel another win coming on.


No comments: