Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Surgery in a snowstorm

We had to be at the hospital at six in the morning on Friday to check in for Evan's surgery.  That means we had to be up at about 5:15 throw on clothes and be on the road by 5:30.  It wasn't really a big deal since I couldn't fall asleep on Thursday night and felt like I didn't sleep a wink all night.  I kept waking up and checking the clock hoping that I wouldn't oversleep.   We made it up, we made it into the car and at 5:32 am, we got stuck in the snow leaving our driveway.  That really wasn't what I needed to help with my nerves which were already on the edge that morning.  

Of course our snowfall totals would exceed a foot that morning.  We have had record low snowfall amounts for the last two years.  Leave it to this morning to wage upon us a good old fashioned snow storm reminiscent of my youth.  Luckily our neighbor was out (at 5:30 am) snow blowing his driveway and he and Trent managed to get the car unstuck.  I took off down the road in the deep, deep snow determined not to stop for anything.  Once we got out of our neighborhood and onto main roads, the plows had been through and we made it to the hospital just before six.  

There isn't much to report with these photographs.  It was just mainly me trying to make Evan and myself feel relaxed and comfortable.  We were both tired.  We were both nervous.  We both just wanted to get it over with. 

Waiting to get called back.

In our "cubbie".  Dressed in his gown with his blanket and Laddie. 

He didn't really want to get on the bed. 

Evan and his fluffy socks.  I was so happy when I talked to the nurse the day before and she told me that he could wear pajamas or anything comfy he wanted for the surgery.  I knew he would want his soft pants and fluffy socks.   I really think they helped him feel as comfortable as he could. I was thankful for that and every time I saw him in his favorite clothes it made me smile and feel a bit calmer.

He decided that being comfy in the bed might not be so bad and thought that maybe coloring a bit would make the wait time go faster.

Laddie gets in some coloring as well. 

The only time I started to get a bit flustered was when the anesthesiologist came in to talk to us.  I had a hard time understanding her and I know they have to talk to you about worst case scenarios, but it really is not something you want to hear in that situation.  She seemed nice enough and competent, I just felt uneasy because I have never experienced one of my kids being put under before.

I really liked the surgical nurse.  She came in and was warm and bubbly and told me that they were going to take great care of my little guy.  That is the kind of stuff you want to hear as your baby is getting ready to be wheeled out of the room.  She wondered if he needed to take the "giggle juice" which supposedly relaxes the kids so they don't get upset and cry while they leave their parents.  Evan didn't want to take it.  He was already calm and reminded me again of what a strong person he is.  I couldn't have been prouder of him.  I asked her if he had to take it and she said he seemed fine and that she couldn't see him crying as he left.  I told her that he would be fine.  He wouldn't cry, but I might.  I was tough though.  As they wheeled him out I kissed him on the head and told him I loved him and would see him in a few minutes.  I went into the waiting area and watched his number traverse the board.  PRE OP. OR. RECOVERY.  It was probably only twenty minutes or so before the doctor came in and told me everything went fine and he was already waking up.  A few minutes later they called me back to see him.

He looked pretty rough when I first saw him which is to be expected but is always hard to see.   They put the patch on his eye because I guess when he was first coming out of sedation he kept trying to touch it.  I am sure it felt sore.

Hanging out in recovery playing games on the ipad. 

I am sure it was hard to focus with only one eye because he gave up on the ipad pretty quick and just wanted to lay and be quiet.   The marker on his forehead is where the doctor marked him for surgery.  Evan wondered why he had to write on him and I told him so they don't accidentally cut off your nose instead.  He thought I was pretty funny.  Or maybe not.

He finally started to feel better and seem much more normal.  Talking.  Asking questions.  Eating popsicles. He spent an hour or so in recovery and then we got to head home.

We stopped at Burger King to get him something to eat.  He wanted hot dogs from G & L but since it was only ten in the morning (though it felt like two) they weren't open yet.  He decided on Burger King and asked if he could get a Whopper.  I let him and he ate the whole thing.

He was thrilled about the chocolates that I gave to him for being such a trooper.  He layed low most of the day, but was pretty normal.  Playing on the computer.  Watching TV.  I know he wanted to go out and play in all the snow, but his discharge instructions said he should stay inside for the rest of the day. 

The next day he was feeling fine and his eye was almost back to normal.  It still looked swollen and a bit black and blue.  Of course the spot where the doctor cut off the chalazion was still pretty raw looking and hadn't scabbed over yet.   I really hope that it is gone and that we can ward off any others we see forming.  People that get chalazions tend to get more.  He has already been treated for one in his right eye.  Now that I know what to look for, we just have to be vigilant to get rid of them before they become infected or whatever his was.  I am anxious to go to his follow up appointment on Thursday and hear what the doctor has to say. 

This experience has been something I would not like to repeat and believe me, I am so thankful that it is over and behind us, but I have to say that the whole thing was pretty positive and went quite smoothly.  

No comments: