Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Kings of the wild frontier


Trent took the boys up north for a few days so they could start working on their deer blind for the youth hunt.   Deer blind.  Youth hunt.  These are words that I never imagined would be in the vocabulary of my family on a regular basis, but they are.  My boys want to hunt.  They can't wait to shoot their first deer.   Ugh.

Don't get me wrong - I am not against hunting - I just don't know much about it.  My family has quite a few hunters in it, but my Dad never hunted so I never witnessed it that closely.  Trent's family - his grandfathers, dad and brothers were and still are huge hunters.  Trent has gone with them on their hunting trips, but he had never shot a deer in his life.  Most of his time in the deer blind was spent with his nose in a book not scouring the woods for signs of movement. 

I don't want to discourage my boys from things they might really enjoy, but I am kind of skeptical and nervous about this.   My biggest fear is that they are going to be traumatized when they realize they actually killed something.  Something big. That they are the reason one of God's creatures is no longer alive.   I am trying to talk Trent into starting them off hunting birds.  I kind of hate birds - always have.   The thought of birds as pets is especially creepy to me.  Don't even get me started on birds that talk.  Shudder.  Not that it is alright to kill something you hate. That is not the message I am trying to instill - birds are just less human like or something.  So my number one fear is post kill trauma.  My second fear is that they will really like it and I will be forced to start displaying mounted deer heads and racks in my home.   Double UGH. 

So who knows.  We may have a freezer full of venison this winter.  Too bad no one but Trent and Evan will eat it.  Then again, I used to hate ground turkey with every ounce of my being and now that is pretty much the only ground meat we eat.  Maybe venison tacos will soon be a meal staple.

It is pretty ironic that I left this blog and clicked over to Dooce.com and this was her post of the day.


These animal heads I could handle, but the real ones?  Don't even get me started on the fur and the dusty fur...Maybe my boys are right on the edge of the new trend in home decorating!

No comments: