Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Brutally honest

One of the best and (sometimes worst) things about kids is their complete honesty.  I had another example of that today.

I brought my newly purchased Goodwill side table in from the garage and set it up in the spot where I knew I wanted to put it.  It is stained wood and nicked up, but nothing a little TLC can't fix and I am super excited about it.   Six dollars.  You just can't go wrong.  When I set it in place Evan turned away from his Wii game and said "That looks good!"  I told him I agreed and then asked him if he thought I should paint it reliable black or go a little wild with a burnt orange or a muted red or something.   "Do what you want," he replied.  "I am not really into this conversation anymore."  At least he didn't just ignore me.

Another much less flattering example happened a few days before school got out for the boys.  Hailey and I were walking home from a trip to the beach and one of our neighbors drove by in a convertible and waved out the window.  I waved back and Hailey asked me who I was waving to.  I told her it was her "big girl" friend Casey's mom. 

Hailey: She looks cool in that cool car doesn't she?

Me:  Yeah, I said she does look cool.  Then I started signing to the tune of "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne - "Casey's mom has got it going on..."

She thought that song was about the best thing she ever heard so I started singing again but this time I changed the words to "Hailey's mom has got it going on"

Then Hailey joined in the singing with her own version:  "Hailey's mom has got to go on a diet!"

See what I mean?  Brutal honesty.  She is lucky I didn't drop her off at Casey's house to live.

No comments: