Thursday, October 22, 2009

Where the wild things are

If his current level of enthusiasm continues into the future, Evan is going to be the kid in high school that starts on a term paper the day the teacher gives the assignment. Topic sentence by tomorrow? He'll bring in the first draft of three paragraphs.

Even now, he begs me to do his letter flashcards with him. He loves to sit at the counter while I am cooking dinner and try to spell out words that I give to him. He lights up like a Christmas tree when you ask him to count to one hundred. His thirst for knowledge is unquenchable and I can only hope the trend continues.

His latest school project was to come up with an imaginary creature and present it to the class while answering a few simple questions about it. His creature was finished a week before it was due. It was agonizing for him. He could not wait for his share day so that he could take his masterpiece to school with him.

His teacher gave the students three questions to answer about their creature. Where does it live? What does it eat? and What does it do for fun? Evan had the answers to his questions down pat the first time I asked him. Once again I have to wonder how two brothers can be so different. When Spencer did the same assignment, we were scrambling a couple days before it was due for him to finish it, and to get him to finish it was a major arm twisting. And as far as his answers, they changed EVERY time we asked him.


I had to get out the video camera and have Evan hold up his creature and answer the questions while I recorded them because every time he told me his answers, I couldn't stop smiling for hours afterward. If my video camera were not almost the size of a loaf of bread, I would be able to put a clip on here and make the rest of your day. But bread it is, so you will just have to take my word for it.

Mom: Where does your creature live?

Evan: A tree

Mom: What does it eat?

Evan: Wizards and it eats them waw! (Lizards and it eats them RAW!)

Mom: What does it do for fun?

Evan: Chase swirlels. (Chase squirrels)


Oh Evan! Your creature was was as awesome as you are! In the famous words of Maurice Sendak, "I'll eat you up I love you so!"

3 comments:

dr said...

I love this story, Jen, and Evan's enthusiasm for school (along with most everything he does). He is such a great kid! I hope he continues to love school!

Brandi said...

Isn't it funny how brothers can be so different?

The creature is fabulous! What a wonderful, creative mind he has! :)

jensenbo said...

I love your little creature, Ev. You are such creative little guy!!