Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spencer's cat

Spencer is a cat person. He LOVES cats. He has been begging us for a cat of his own since he has been able to speak.

He has brought home many papers from school that he has done in his writing workshop time that reiterate to us his intense feelings about wanting a cat of his own. Last Wednesday when I was there helping in his classroom, his teacher was telling me how well he did with his story structure - it was about how he fed his cat and made sure his cat always had milk in its bowl. She wondered if the cat was new to our home, because he always wants to write about it. "Well that's the thing," I told her, "we don't have a cat." She laughed.

Maybe down the road we will get a cat. Right now I don't want to deal with the litter box. More specifically, Hailey digging into the litter box. For now, he will have to keep using his imagination and loving his stuffed kitties.

His latest papers that came home Friday:

I have a cat.


It rained cages. It caught my cat. My cat wasn't hurt.
(I love this one!)


The first page of this one that I didn't include says:
I say Herman. Then this page says:
And the play was over and my cat scratched me.


3 comments:

Lesley said...

Spence is going to laugh at this when he gets older. It is so funny. What an imagination.

Lesley said...

Last night after work, I came home and read your blog. I had just read about Spencer's cat.....Scott says to me as I was getting into bed...Are you all done checking out your kitties???
Les: What are you talking about, whe don't have any kitties!
Scott: I was talking about your kiddies.
Les: Oh, ya, I just read a blog about cats. Oops.
Hehe

jensenbo said...

It's amazing what kindergarten's can do these days. All the writing and sounding out they do. Was not like that when I taught. Spencer's sounding out words so good. That's so cool. He somehow applies it to things going on in his life -- like the play and Favorite Kitty. :) I agree, Fisherlands --- great imagination.