Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fun and games



On Sunday night after their baths, the boys had the option of watching the "funny show" (America's Funniest Home Videos) or picking out a game to play. They decided they wanted to play Sorry. So we all played - Evan wanted to be on his own, so that was kind of interesting. He just liked moving his guys all over and "Sorrying" people the most. Sometimes it hits me like a ton of bricks how much Spencer is growing up. I was surprised how he really understood the game and could read the cards and the actions they told him to take.


So of course the next morning the first thing out of their mouths is "Can we play Sorry?" I told them we would have to wait until after school.

Yesterday was the kind of day where you feel like you are doing a good job as a parent. Hailey had a doctor appointment and I brought Evan with me. He was a perfect kid. He just sat and played with the dinos we brought. He didn't beg for a drink of water, a trip to the bathroom or to play with the germ infested toys in the waiting room. When the doctor was examining Hays he just sat and watched and answered the doctor's questions.


When Spencer got home from school and the boys were finished with lunch, this is what I saw in the dining room. My two boys were sitting at the table playing board games together. They were not fighting. They were not being wild. They were playing games together as nice as they could be. I sort of felt like I was transported back to Little House on the Prairie days or something.

When Ev and Hailey went down for their naps, Spencer asked me if I would play Sorry with him. I told him I had to clean up the kitchen and the lunch stuff first. A bit later he asked again. First I am going to sweep and mop the gross kitchen floor. He continued to ask and I kept putting it off with laundry, bills etc. He decided to go down to the basement to play Star Wars Wii.





I got on the computer to check the email and surf around on blogs. On a blog of a blog of a blog I found this letter that a mother had written to her baby girl that had only lived 2 1/2 hours after her birth. They knew during the pregnancy that the baby would not survive - maybe not even the delivery. This letter she wrote to her baby girl was amazing, the peace that she had through the whole ordeal was awe inspiring. While reading it, I had a lump in my throat the size of a softball and tears pouring down my face. After I finished reading, Spencer walked up the stairs - "Can we play Sorry NOW?" YES! We can take a trip to the moon if that is what you want.

I hate that sometimes I am so caught up in everything around me that is everyday life that I "forget" how blessed I am. Reading that letter yesterday put a different perspective on an already good mom day. We played games. We played ball and tag outside. I saw my kids as the miracles that they are. I realized that life can turn on a dime and we have to cherish every day we have with those that we love. We have to play a game and not worry so much about the mess in the kitchen. I know my kids know I love them. I tell them about a hundred times a day and hug and kiss them so much they get tired of me on them. I want them to know how blessed I feel to have them, to know them, to watch them grow. They are amazing, and I am so lucky!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

I have to get ready for work, so I just checked out the pics. Great, fun pictures. I will read the blog later. I love the close up of the game. Spencer is starting to look like such a grown up boy. Oh my gosh!! They are growing so fast.

Lesley said...

Awe, what a nice post. We do have to let the other stuff go and spend the time on the kids. I, too, get caught up in the "other" stuff. I am going to work harder on this too. We are very blessed in our families, with great husbands and beautiful children. No one ever complains at the end of life that their house was too dirty. They just wish they had more time with their love ones! Enjoy!

Lesley said...

P.S. I see the exersaucer in the background behind Spence. Are you still using it?

Anonymous said...

Very well done, Jen. I may not have read the letter you did, but your interpretation is enough to make me have a good mom day too! Thanks for the inspiration!!
And p.s.
you kids are absolute dolls!! :)

jensenbo said...

What a touching blog, Jen. You hit the nail on the head. Enjoy your kids, hug, and kiss them often. We all say they grow up fast--- that is an understatment. Yes, you never know how life can change on a dime. Carpe Diem!! I am so proud of the mother you are. Your kids adore you!! And I know you love them more than one can imagine.