Tuesday, September 4, 2007

No tears!




This morning Spence had his first day of Kindergarten! There were no tears shed from either one of us. In fact, he pretty much couldn't wait for me to leave. I was proud of him. He was not shy or clingy at all. He does have the same teacher from last year, the same class room and a couple of familiar faces - but still, he did very well. He walked into the room with a big smile on his face, found his seat, said "hi" to the kids he had class with last year and started working on the project in front of him. He did ask me on the way to school how long of a vacation we had - so I wonder if he thought that the summer break was just a couple weeks long and now he is back to his class - like it is not really a "new" year. In his situation, I can see how he would think that.



Kindergarten is crazy these days. Already this week - the first week - they have DIBELS testing. From what I understand ( I should have Trent to consult since teaching seems to be so full of this alphabet soup) it is testing that is performed three times throughout the year to gauge their reading abilities and what they need to work on and their improvements along the way. When we got home, I was curious to see how Spencer would do so I found my old reading book from first grade And so you go. He could read the title no problem and even a short little story inside. Let me! Let me! He is wet. She is wet. Is pet wet? It was so cool to see him reading it. Then the guilt comes back - I should have been working on it with him this summer, then think how advanced he would be. Why does it always seem like such a competition?








No comments: