Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Human again

It is amazing how a little cold virus can throw off a whole household. Evan's sneezes from last Thursday erupted into a full blown cold that he managed to pass on to everyone else in the house (except Daddy). Spencer seemed to only get a touch of it - he only felt semi-yucky for a day or so. Hailey had (and still has to some degree) a runny nose that interferes with her sleeping and eating and makes her generally irritable.

Evan and I got it the worst. Ev has been snotty and coughing and full of general malaise since the weekend. I had to keep him home from school yesterday. I felt bad since it was only his third day of class. I have had the nagging headache and non stop snottiness that absolutely drives me crazy. The Sudafed does not seem to help either. Not even the behind the counter stuff that you have to basically give up your first born to get. I know it is the rules but c'mon, there has to be a better way. I look completely horrible, I have a two snotty kids in my cart - hurry up with that 20 pack of Sudafed because I need to get home to my Meth lab.

I also notice how much I take sleeping and breathing for granted until I get a cold. As I am laying in bed with post nasal drippyness like a faucet trying to get comfortable - I would give up my left thumb to be able to breath out of both nostrils at the same time. At that moment you feel like you will never have that clear breathing again. My dilemma is that if I take something to clear my nose before bed, my throat/nose area is so dry at some point in the night I wake up to a terrible coughing fit. Like coughing so hard I almost throw up - that was last night.

Today is much better. I am feeling almost human again. Evan seems to have turned the corner as well. If I ask him how he is feeling, he will cough out a response but if I don't bring it up he is fine. Let's hope when he goes to school tomorrow it doesn't start all over again!

No comments: