Wednesday, September 5, 2007

3rd Degree hot glue burns!


Ta Da! Behold the binky trophy! Gramma found an old perfect attendance trophy and a plastic binky leftover from a baby shower - a little gold paint, some glitter, stickers and hot glue and voila! a binky trophy!


Today marks two weeks exactly since Evan has slept with a binky! Honestly, I can't believe how easy it was for him to give it up. Before he would go to sleep he would usually tell me " I want my binky" but I just told him we still couldn't find it and he would accept that. What a big guy! Ironically, as I was gathering supplies to make the binky trophy I found the binky! How crazy is that? Tucked in behind the fire safe blocking the drawers that hold the not often used craft items - there it was on the floor. I put it in the back of the cupboard just in case but since he obviously doesn't need it, I think it will remain "lost".


It is weird though how even though it has only been two weeks I can't remember the last time he used his binky. There is a book called Let me hold you longer by Karen Kingsbury about how we are so quick as parents to make a big deal out of all of our children's "firsts" but that we often do not notice the "lasts". I am guilty of this with the binky. I guess I didn't realize that he would give it up so easily and thought there would be many days to see the thing stuck in his mouth and hear him try to talk through it. I will miss it a little, miss hearing him ask for it, miss the baby part of him that still wanted it. I guess it is normal to be proud of him for being so strong yet a little sad that his ability to be that way means he is growing up.

No comments: