Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Because we want them to learn geography while they brush their teeth.

The kid's bathroom is complete! Actually it has been for a while, but since we have no less than a million things going on at once around here, I have not had a chance to blog about it.

I cannot believe what a difference a coat of paint (or many coats of paint in this case) make in a room. That bathroom went from complete Vanilla to Chocolate Cherry Garcia in a matter of days. By the way if anyone knows if they still make and sell Chocolate Cherry Garcia let me know. Not that I need to be sitting in front of The Food Network chugging down a pint of that, but man is it yummy!

Back to the bathroom. Two different shades of blue that compliment the shower curtain that I purchased YEARS ago and the map of the world that I found at a yard sale around the corner. While at Target purchasing the towel racks that I decided we needed, I spotted the white towels with the circle trim that perfectly matches our wall colors. Plus I thought the circles worked with the whole globe/world theme.

I just realized that the Longaberger basket holding the extra toilet paper really does nothing for the room, so I will be on the lookout for something else to put in that space.

While at IKEA the other day I found some document size frames in the exact same colors of our paint. I grabbed them up immediately because my idea for the rest of the artwork in the room was to have the kids draw their own versions of maps that we could hang on the wall. Talk about having a hankerin' for meatballs at the right time!

Can you tell that I have just about reached my ability to function at a sane level for the day?


So that is our first completed project of the summer and I am so happy with how it all came together and turned out. The lockers just received their finish coat of paint today and tomorrows agenda includes touching up the walls. The next thing will be to find the hooks I want to use to hang the stuff in the lockers. So they most likely will not be officially complete until next week since we are once again packing our bags and heading out for a few days.



I inadvertently started on yet another new project this evening. I was trying to pick up/put away/organize the toys in the basement. Trent was down there the other day and made a good dent. Tonight I found out why.

Think big Rubbermaid tubs filled with random parts after part after part.

Toys bring out some OCD in me. I need them to be with their parts. Last summer before our yard sale (almost exactly one year ago), I went through the whole basement, the kid's rooms and every toy box in the house. Everything was where it was supposed to be. Random parts were disposed of. Stuff was sold. It was wonderful. All good things must come to an end I suppose, and believe me - I have seen the end. The sorting will soon commence.

I remember feeling so optimistic at the beginning of this summer break that with Trent home I would be able to get so many things accomplished and crossed off of my to do list. Aside from the bathroom and the lockers being crossed off, I think stuff has just been added. I guess that is the price you pay for being active and enjoying time together. The piles aren't going anywhere - I will get to them someday.


Photo note: The pictures in this post do not do the bathroom justice. The colors look much better in real life. The lighting in the bathroom is atrocious and with the giant mirror...hello reflection....there is not too much I can do to remedy it.

2 comments:

jensenbo said...

The kids new bath looks adorable --- good job on the painting and decorating!!

dr said...

The new bathroom is great! I love it. Mira loved bathing in there with Hailey.