Tuesday, September 10, 2013

8:02 am



The kids have been in school for just over a week now so I figured I better get the first day pictures posted before I am weeding through Halloween shots. I have an empty house to myself all day and I can't tell you how fast those quiet hours fly by. 
 
Spencer is at the middle school so our day now begins at 6:00 instead of 7:00.   For some strange reason the waking up hasn't been so bad yet.  Even Hailey and Evan who still don't have to get out of bed until 7:00 have been waking up earlier.  
 
I still have to hustle Spencer through getting dressed, eating breakfast and brushing his teeth for longer than it takes to just stick the toothbrush in your mouth and spit, but he has been pretty good about getting out the door by 7:08 to get to the bus which picks him up at 7:18.   The first day he misses the bus is going to be a doozy because what on Earth will I do then?  We are just going to hope that doesn't happen.
 
 

His new shoes for the year -or however long they last.  I love that he picked out Van's instead of athletic shoes.  They are very him.   He has adjusted well to the new environment of middle school so far.  He loves the new little bit of freedom that the lunch room offers him.  Switching classes is not really a big deal because he has done that for the last five years in his former multiage classroom setting.   He seems to be pretty on task so far with the little homework he has brought home.   I am cautiously optimistic.   Now I just have to worry about the first middle school dance.  Ugh.


Having kids in two different schools is kind of strange.  It seems like I get Spencer out the door and tend to relax and then twenty minutes later realize that I still have two kids that I have to make lunches for and get out the door.  



Hailey is enjoying first grade so far.  She had her first homework the other night - a reading comprehension worksheet.  She did great on it.  Her reading ability already seems much better than last year - even without working on it much over the summer. 




Evan started fourth grade with his first male teacher.  I am really excited for him - I think he will love learning from a male point of view.   He was already inspired on the second day of school to come home and want to read ten books in one night so he could get a jump on his reading tests for the year.


Evan's new shoes for the year.  Sketchers - Hailey is super jealous even though Evan's don't sparkle or light up.   I love this shirt we got for him as well.  Darth Vader up to bat with a light saber - so funny.








The kids have the same bus driver they did last year.   I love her.  She really gets to know the kids.  When the kids got on the first day she looked at me and said she missed Spencer already!  The bus took off and I made the lonely trek back up the road and was home by 8:02.  Crazy.

So far the year is off to a great start.  I hope we can keep the momentum going.

No comments: