Friday, September 15, 2017

Evan in a million words or less.


I was given a homework assignment by Evan's English teacher this year to describe him in a million words or less.  The following is what I wrote.


Describing Evan in a million words or less seems a daunting task when I sit down to do it.  There is so much about him that I could tell you. 

He is an excellent student.   Ever since he was a little boy he has always been so eager to learn and willing to put in the work to do it.  He is self motivating – we never have to ask him about making sure something gets done because he is always on it.  He is his own harshest critic – sometimes I think he is too hard on himself.  I predict that he will do well in English class because he has always been a    voracious reader and is a creative thinker.  Recently he has decided that he wants to write novels. 

He is a quiet kid, but not exactly shy.  He will not be a disturbance in class but I imagine will participate with his opinions and thoughts.  He tends to be quite an individualist.  He has never cared about dressing in the current style or wanting to wear what everyone is wearing.  What Evan wants to wear is what he can be most comfortable in.  His teachers last year shared stories with us of him coming to class in goofy hats or with reminder notes taped to his face.  In the middle school years of everyone trying to fit in and be like everyone else, I hope he continues to let his inherent goofiness shine through and be his own person.
 
Evan has an amazing zest for life and for having fun.  One of my favorite sights and sounds is when he is laughing his full belly laugh.  His whole face just illuminates with joy.  I hope he brings some of that to your classroom this year.

These few paragraphs have barely scratched the surface of who Evan is, but I hope it helps you to get to know him this year.   He really is an amazing kid. 


This was the teacher's response:

Hello!

I have so enjoyed getting to know Evan throughout the first few weeks of school! He is so kind, focused, and willing to share his awesome insights with his classmates. I am excited to know that he has an interest in writing novels! I have not shared this with the students yet, but I have three local authors coming in next month (after our creative writing unit) to discuss the process of writing and publishing novels! 

I am excited to get the opportunity to work the Evan throughout this school year. Please let me know if you have any questions!


No comments: